Head Medical are excited to be recruiting for an Acute Medicine Consultant to work in the Combined Assessment Unit (CAU) based in the Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary (DGRI).
The successful candidate will work closely with the three existing Acute Medicine Consultants to provide senior presence and clinical leadership within the CAU and will join a team of Consultant Physicians providing services in Acute/General Medicine at DGRI.
You will contribute to clinical governance and audit within the Unit, and will provide teaching and supervision of nursing staff, junior medical staff, and medical students. There will be an opportunity to maintain an existing specialty interest or Acute Medicine Special Skill, subject to negotiation and local service needs.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- Undertake the assessment and triage of acute medical patients referred from the Emergency Department or Primary care to the CAU. He/she will be supported in this role by dedicated junior medical staff rostered to the unit and will provide on-site clinical guidance for this team.
- Establish an initial investigation and clinical management plan for patients admitted to CAU.
- See and assess selected patients in an Ambulatory Emergency Care setting within the CAU.
- Work with the existing Acute Medicine Consultants to develop alternatives to in-patient admission, supported by rapid access to diagnostic services.
- Help to provide a Monday to Friday rapid access review service for patients referred from Primary Care.
- Facilitate the rapid discharge of appropriate patients, including early transfer to Community Hospitals when appropriate.
- Partake in the general medical on-call rota at a frequency of 1 in 12 (1 in 6 weekends)
Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary is based on the outskirts of the town with the region itself offering beautiful countryside, from rugged cliffs and sandy beaches to forests, hills and rolling plains. With affordable housing and schools which perform consistently well in national rankings as well as easily commutable locations to visit you can achieve an excellent work/life balance within this job.
In order to be considered for this amazing opportunity you must:
- Hold Specialist registration with the General Medical Council (GMC) for Acute or General Internal Medicine. Or be within 6 months of achieving this via CCST at the time of interview.
- Hold Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (UK) or equivalent.
This post is for full time however, we are open to discussing part time or job share for the right candidate. A full relocation package is on offer if required with salary following NHS pay scales from £84,984 up to £112,925, dependent on experience. This job will be subject to a police check. Applications from those requiring a Visa will be considered.
To learn more about this fantastic opportunity get in touch with Allison on 0131 240 5287 or email Allison@headmedical.com.
**If this post isn't right for you at this time please feel free to share with your friends and colleagues who might be interested. We pay £500 referral fee for successfully placed candidates.**