Specialist in General Surgery - St Helena, South Atlantic
3-year long-term contract!!!
Salary: £85k plus International Supplement & Relocation (total salary up £108k)
Salary, International Supplement and Pension Contributions are taxable in St Helena: the current rates are: a £7,000 personal allowance per annum, thereafter 26% on the first £18,000 and 31% on the remainder
Enjoying unique lifestyle opportunities, St Helena Island is a self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom with a population of about 4,500. The 24-bed General Hospital in the capital, Jamestown, covers all areas of acute medical and surgical care.
Fantastic work/life balance in a relaxed Island setting.
Medical staff comprises one general surgeon (this post), an anaesthetist, and obstetrician/gynaecologist, and 5 Medical Officers, all managed by a Chief Medical Officer. In addition, there is a physiotherapist, occupational therapist, dietitian, pharmacist, and paramedics. Specialist surgical care (such as orthopaedics, ophthalmology, and ENT) is provided by visiting consultants. However, for much of the time you will be the only surgeon on the island, and a broad range of experience would be valuable.
The island has around 570 surgical cases a year and with a theatre list each week, you will offer pre-and post-operative care and 24-hour cover for surgical emergencies. There are regular outpatient clinics. Playing a key part in health promotion and preventative care, you will take part and build on current programmes and new initiatives to improve the health of the islanders.
You will help medical colleagues with their caseload, training nursing staff and students when required and participating in weekly CPD sessions with the medical team. There are regular education and quality improvement sessions.
Focused on the preparation of surgical patients, providing a service to improve the lives of all within our community and help the island thrive by supporting and working within a team of Medical Officers, Nursing Staff and Allied Health Professionals to provide specialist knowledge and expertise in general surgery.
A specific focus will be on supporting the development and delivery of a robust and effective clinical health service.
- Full GMC registration or equivalent and good standing with that body.
- FRCS or equivalent qualification of experience.
- You will have worked at Consultant level or as Senior Specialist Registrar with substantial postgraduate experience of around 7+ years.
- Substantial postgraduate experience in general surgery.
- You should also be experienced in laparoscopic operations, upper and lower endoscopy, and in analysing and interpreting information.
- Experience of working in remote or rural settings would be an advantage.
- Experience in basic trauma and fracture care is needed.
- Experience in basic and/or acute urology is an advantage.
Benefits Package Includes:
- Salary: £85k
- An International Supplement, full details can be provided
- Relocation Allowance, full details can be provided
- Annual Pension Contribution of 7.5% of salary
- Annual Leave of 30 days per annum plus Public Holidays
Please get in touch with a copy of your CV or simply email email@example.com for more information. We would love to hear from you.