Our client seeks a Public Health Medicine Specialist to join the Public Health team.
- Permanent full-time or part-time (negotiable)
- On call allowance
About this position
The successful applicant will:
- Develop public health strategic plans and policies to improve public health and safety in the region.
- Assess threats/risk factors of epidemic diseases to public health to pre-empt and control the outbreaks of these illness.
- Participate in the on-call roster to ensure 24 hours cover.
- Provide expert public health advice and operational support to public health staff and others.
- Join a supportive multidisciplinary team including health promotion and protection officers and public health nurses.
- Have an opportunity to engage with cross sector partners across the district and the South Island.
- Work and live in one of New Zealand’s most sought after regions.
Who is an appropriate applicant?
The ideal applicant will:
- Bring their medical expertise and experience to improve the population health and primary health care in the region.
- Ability to work independently as a specialist in a provincial district health board.
- Commit to quality improvement and health promotion in the Public Health Services.
- Hold Fellowship of the New Zealand College of Public Health Medicine or equivalent.
- Be eligible for an Annual Practising Certificate with a vocational scope of Public Health Medicine with the Medical Council of New Zealand.
- Work with others to promote a cohesive team culture of collaborative practice, openness, humour, and respect across disciplines.
Collegiality and collaboration across all disciplines are key to our delivery of a successful service to our patients and our community. If this sounds like the sort of environment that you will thrive in, then we want to hear from you!
The benefits of this position
The salary for this position is based on the current Senior Medical and Dental Officer collective agreement dependent on skills, experience, and vocational registration in NZ.
In addition to your salary you will:
- Receive an annual allowance cover your continued medical education expenses (including associated travel and accommodation costs) as well as paid time off to attend events including international conferences.
- Have access to an employer matched Superannuation contribution of up to 6% of annual earnings.
- Be reimbursed competitive relocation, accommodation and car rental expenses (conditions apply).
This is an incredible region of Aotearoa - New Zealand with a lovely climate boasting some of the highest annual sunshine hours year after year and is a wonderful place to work and enjoy life. The schools are excellent, and Nelson is well connected to the rest of New Zealand and the world via its centrally located and well served domestic airport terminal.
There are three national parks nearby providing ample opportunities for quality family-time and appreciation of nature’s wonders. The region is renowned for its breath-taking natural landscapes, with stunning geography capturing everything from unbelievably long golden beaches to rugged mountains and untouched forests.
These magnificent features offer endless opportunities for mountain biking, walking/hiking, water sports and skiing. The region is also well known for its café culture, wineries, art, crafts, and relaxed lifestyle.
About our team
We are the main health provider for the region serving a population of approximately 150,000. Nearly 3,000 strong, we are the largest employer in the region. Our work can be challenging, but we are up for it. We have a great team and we work hard to make a difference. We value integrity, innovation, respect and teamwork.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online and attach an up to date copy of your CV so we can assess the level of assistance we can provide.