- Join us as we change the future of healthcare in Health New Zealand – Southern
- Permanent up to 1.0 FTE negotiable
About the role
Are you a specialist geriatrician who is innovative, dynamic and looking for an exciting opportunity to work with older people in a progressive team environment? If so, our Older People’s Health Service at Dunedin would welcome your application. We are seeking to employ a full-time (up to 1.0 FTE, FTE negotiable) Consultant Geriatrician to join our experienced team of geriatricians, nurses (including nurse practitioners), and allied health professionals as we prepare to move into the New Hospital.
Our service currently provides clinical leadership and support to a combination of inpatient, outpatient and community services to the elderly in the Dunedin and Otago District. Using a team approach, we provide comprehensive services for people with complex age-related health problems We maintain a close liaison with all other hospital and community services. There is an on-call and weekend roster for our SMO team working 1:5. The working area currently includes:
- Inpatient assessment, treatment and rehabilitation ward in the Hospital
- Older Persons Assessment and Liaison Unit (OPAL)
- Orthogeriatric support to frail orthopaedic inpatients
- Outpatient clinics, including some rural clinics throughout Otago
- Memory Clinic (in collaboration with psycho-geriatricians and psychologist).
- Community home visits, in liaison with the Nurse Practitioners.
- Support and teaching to Dunedin Medical School students
Our objective is to enable our frail and elderly patients to achieve the highest possible level of independence in order to avoid hospital admission or to return home. Our emphasis is on:
- Promoting ‘wellness’, independence and participation
- Close liaison with community services
- Comprehensive discharge planning
You will be joining our current medical team which consists of Geriatricians, registrars, house officers. We are looking for someone to join us who is excited about developing a vision for the future of the Older Persons Health Service. To enjoy this role, you’ll need to be committed to quality service delivery and development and be able to work effectively as a leader within an inter-disciplinary team.
A requirement of the position is that you must currently hold (or be eligible for) Vocational/Specialist Registration in Geriatric Medicine with the Medical Council of New Zealand.
Te Whatu Ora - Southern has the largest geographical coverage of all the New Zealand regions, providing services to 350,000 people in diverse communities. We take pride in all the services we provide, and our aim is to improve, promote and protect the health of our region. We believe that our dedicated and passionate staff are a significant driving force behind the achievement of these standards, and we need more like-minded people to help us continue providing for our community.
- Work life balance - Potential for a 0.8 – 1.0 FTE negotiable
- Access to ski fields within 3 – 4 hours drive
- Local beaches with world famous surfing
- Amazing wildlife at your doorstep
- Average commute time of 10-15mins
- University city with Medical School
If you are interested in this position, please apply online and attach an up to date copy of your CV for consideration.