The department of General Surgery at Te Pae Hauora o Ruahine o Tararua MidCentral is expanding, which means we have exciting new opportunities to join our team! We are an enthusiastic department of seven general surgeons, looking to expand with the addition of an eighth surgeon.
Our workload is very broad encompassing the full range of acute and elective general surgery, with particular emphasis on breast and endocrine surgery, gastrointestinal surgery including endoscopy, minimal access and laparoscopic surgery, surgical oncology, trauma, and vascular surgery.
Surgical oncology is practiced in conjunction and with close collaboration with the Regional Oncology Service (including medical oncology and radiotherapy) based on campus. This latter service covers the lower central North Island. We are the region's preferred provider for oesophago-gastric cancer resection. We have an excellent service from and rapport with the Emergency Department, anaesthetic and ICU, pathology and laboratory services, and a full range of radiology/ imaging including interventional radiology, duplex, MRI, and nuclear medicine. Site redevelopment is due for completion with an addition of 4 new operating theaters.The successful applicant will participate in the on-call roster for acute general surgery, have a relatively broad elective general surgical repertoire as well as a subspecialty interest.
We are interested in hearing from surgeons with:
- Breast subspecialty, ideally possessing a formal post-fellowship accreditation in breast surgery
- Upper GI subspecialty, ideally possessing a formal post-fellowship accreditation in oesophago-gastric surgery
Active supervision and teaching of several advanced general surgical trainees rotated from the RACS National Training Scheme as well as basic trainees/ registrars and senior house officers is expected.
What can we offer you?
- A diverse, dynamic and collegial team environment
- Ongoing training and development opportunities
- Six weeks annual leave per annum
- 10 paid days per annum available for continued medical education including a generous allowance towards costs of course and travel
- Generous relocation packages for national and international candidates
The MidCentral Region is ideally situated for those who like to work, rest, and play – beaches close by, ski fields and wineries just up the road, stunning scenery with loads of hiking tracks including Te Arapuke mountain bike track. Our region also offers excellent schools and a local university.
If you are interested in these opportunities, please apply online and attach an up to date copy of your CV for consideration.