An exciting opportunity is currently available for an experienced Emergency Medicine Consultant to join the Department at the Hervey Bay and Maryborough Hospitals.
- Fantastic lifestyle in subtropical Queensland.
- Competitive remuneration package up to AUD$489k depending on experience.
- Additional overtime & on-call allowances
- Low cost of living
- Excellent range of affordable housing
- First class and well-resourced health service
- Coastal living with islands, waterways and beaches, as well as national parks and Great Barrier Reef.
- Regular daily flights to Brisbane and Sydney. 3 hour drive to Brisbane.
The Role and Hospital
You will be required to:
- Undertake clinical responsibilities providing patient care, liaising with other clinical units and referring hospitals, specialists and GP’s, including maintenance of accurate and contemporaneous documentation
- Closely monitor the work of junior medical staff on shift, monitoring their history taking, examination, clinical reasoning and decision making documentation, response to emergencies and completion of discharge documentation
- Take overall responsibility for patients within the emergency department or those admitted to the Clinical Decision Unit, as rostered, and where clinical care is delegated to others for patients under their name
- Liaise and collaborate with other members of the multidisciplinary team and, where appropriate, facilitate multidisciplinary team and family meetings, to ensure positive patient outcomes.
Hervey Bay Hospital is the acute facility on the Fraser Coast and works in close partnership with Maryborough Hospital to deliver high quality health care to the community.
Hervey Bay Hospital has built a reputation for excellence especially in professional education and attracts medical and nursing programs in conjunction with the University of Queensland (UQ), University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Central Queensland University (CQU) and Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
A new state of the art Emergency Department opened its doors in January 2019. The new ED has 46 treatment spaces in total, including 37 emergency bays, three isolation rooms, a safe assessment room and five procedure rooms – more than doubling the department’s capacity.
Applicants should be registered (or eligible for registration) as a specialist with the Medical Board of Australia and be a Fellow of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (FACEM) or equivalent as an overseas trained specialist who has completed their training in either the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA (ABEM certified) or New Zealand.
The Fraser Coast is one of the most rapidly growing regional centres in Queensland with Hervey Bay listed as one of Queensland’s best natural holiday destinations. Situated only 3 hours drive north of Brisbane, with direct flights daily to Brisbane & Sydney, the region is very accessible, enjoys a mild sub-tropical climate as well as being the renowned whale watching capital of Australia.
The World Heritage Listed Fraser Island and Lady Elliot Island are just a short distance away plus there is the opportunity to view humpback whales from July-November. During their annual migration, Humpback whales take time out in the protected waters of Hervey Bay. The whales perform a variety of behaviours providing a spectacular display for visitors and locals.
A range of cosmopolitan and alfresco cafes, shops, parklands, picnic areas, playgrounds along the Esplanade and a vibrant marina there is plenty to see and do.