We are seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist (Addictions) on a permanent basis to be based in Whangarei, just 2 hours drive north of Auckland.
This is a really exciting, newly established role and will provide a vital service in stunning subtropical Northland. This is a key appointment for the community and an opportunity to make a real difference.
This particular position has been created from additional investment to assist people with problems related to methamphetamine use and will join the senior medical team offering addictions services.
This is a unique opportunity to join a new programme with a high level of co-operation between police and health services which aims to be at the forefront of innovation in care.
- FRANZCP or equivalent specialist qualifications
- Experience in Substance Misuse Psychiatry essential
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and experience working with different stakeholder groups
- Help shape and align a service to meet community needs
You have the opportunity to be part of a multidisciplinary team contributing to an integrated model of service delivery in both outpatient and inpatient settings and the opportunity to work in partnership with other health, social and community sectors.
What’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000 - $300,000 pa, depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$158,141 - $230,000 pa (£82,700 - £120,000) depending on level of experience
- Annual $16,000 Continuing Medical Education allowance & 10 days CME leave to attend conferences
- Dedicated non-clinical time and multidisciplinary team working
- Plus relocation assistance
Whangarei is called the “Meeting place of the Pacific” because of its many international yachting visitors and the Northland region boasts some of the most scenic and exciting coastal areas of NZ in a subtropical climate. Its rich in Maori and European history, some of the oldest traces of Maori settlement can be found here and newcomers will experience a real connection with the culture and way of life.
With its high sunshine hours and fantastic natural environment, including white sandy beaches and native forests, it has the reputation of being one of the country’s premier tourist and lifestyle destinations, and is a popular holiday choice for both Kiwis and international visitors. As a result, the region has developed into a real melting pot of cultures, which provides valuable exposure and experiences both professionally and socially.
You can enjoy al fresco dining, world class scuba diving, fishing, sailing, golfing, surfing, swimming with dolphins and so much more. Popular water recreation areas include the Bay of Islands and Poor Knights Islands Reserves.
Whangarei has a busy domestic airport, as well as easy access transport links to Auckland, New Zealand’s largest city which is only a two hour drive away.
- Fresh, professional challenge in a beautiful location
- Work in a comparable health system and enjoy a professionally and socially rewarding experience
- Affordable housing and excellent schools
- Beautiful natural surroundings and marine life – white sandy beaches, native forest, dolphins, orcas
- Sea kayaking, surfing, paddle boarding, powerboating, windsurfing, sailing
Find out more about Whangarei and the Northland region
Requirement for this role
Ideally you will hold FRANZCP and full Vocational registration with Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ trained or based, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications from either UK, Australia, Canada or USA that will enable Provisional Vocational (long term) registration or Locum Tenens (short term up to 12 months) registration. These are the specialist pathways for medical registration in NZ for Psychiatrists and we can assist with medical registration and work visa applications, if you are successfully appointed.
Please visit the MCNZ website for details on the medical registration requirements, including primary source verification of your qualifications which was introduced by MCNZ 1st November 2017.
For more details, please contact Caroline at email@example.com with a copy of your CV.
Please note, Caroline is based in Wellington, New Zealand, having made the move with her family in September 2017.