If you seek an alternative away from the UK Health Service, Head Medical has a great opportunity for you to consider on the Island of Guernsey.
We are on the outlook for a Consultant Anaesthetist to join a prestigious private organisation on the island.
A specialised health board (consultant-delivered service that is personalised and constantly evolving ) who are seeking a dynamic and motivated Consultant within Anaesthetics to come join their team of 13 (11FTE) Consultant Anaesthetists to provide a 12th post. This is a consultant-based department working without the support of either trainees or non-consultant grades, the exception being an Advanced Critical Care Practitioner tier within our Intensive Care Service.
Post holders will be expected to be on the GMC Specialist Register for Anaesthetics.
This post is different from a typical NHS post in that there are no specified numbers of programmed activities (PAs) but is thought to be the equivalent of 13-14 PAs (inclusive of private practice). Remuneration appropriately reflects the duties and responsibilities of the role.
(Regular emergency work will be scheduled into your job plan, in the form of non-resident 1:12 1st and 2nd on-call duties)
In addition to the salary, there are opportunities to develop significant private practice which are integrated into this organisation model.
This means that you do not need to arrange private consulting rooms or secretarial support as private practice is supported in-house.
Hospital has 4 theatres within the main theatre suite, plus one dedicated day patient theatre and an endoscopy suite. Remote sites utilising anaesthesia services (including MRI, X-ray suite and the Emergency Department) are appropriately equipped.
What’s on offer for you?
- The salary on offer is £ 140,156
- Income Tax rate is only 20% of earnings
- One of the best work-life balances - most journeys around the island on average are 5 – 20 minutes
- Generous Comprehensive Relocation Policy
- Clinical care - provide an excellent standard of clinical care in anaesthesia, intensive care, and pain management to patients referred to secondary healthcare services in Guernsey.
- On call - participate in a 1st and 2nd on call anaesthetic rota (including prospective cover), providing out-of-hours care for anaesthesia, intensive care and pain management. This may include on occasion, transfer of patients via air ambulance to tertiary hospitals off island.
- Cover – provide cover for colleagues in their absence and assist with emergencies as required.
- Clinical Governance – active participation in all MSG governance processes.
- Quality improvement – lead approved quality improvement projects in your subspecialty area, to continually improve patient care.
- Education – to supervise and support doctors, allied health care professionals and medical students in training as required. Including teaching and supporting the professional development of our ACCPs in the intensive care setting.
- Administration – to complete administrative duties associated with your role on time.
- Data protection – maintain good practice in handling of confidential information
- Appraisal and revalidation – adhere to these processes in the required timeframes. Maintain an up-to-date mandatory training record.
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) – be accountable for undertaking CME to maintain professional development.
- Full registration with the GMC
- On GMC Specialist Register for Anaesthesia or within 6 months of CCT at interview date
- FRCA or equivalent
- Eligible to work and reside in the UK
- More than 1 year’s experience at consultant level
- Experience in pre-assessment and pre-operative preparation of complex patients
- A Fellowship or other significant specialist experience
- Management course or evidence of management structures/processes
- Knowledge/experience in utilisation of digitalised systems