An exciting opportunity is currently available for a Child Youth and Adolescent Psychiatrist to join the Mackay Hospital and Health Service in Queensland.
- Fantastic lifestyle in subtropical Queensland.
- Competitive remuneration package up to AUD$515,000 depending on experience.
- Additional overtime & on-call allowances
- Low cost of living and excellent range of affordable housing
- First class and well-resourced health service
- Coastal living with islands, waterways and beaches, as well as national parks and Great Barrier Reef
- Regular daily flights to Brisbane and Sydney
The Role and Hospital
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team in providing professional psychiatric interventions, direct clinical care and treatment to clients and their families with a mental illness, in a regional and rural setting, with demonstrated flexibility with respect to roles across inpatient and community psychiatry.
- Perform psychiatric and somatic assessments including comprehensive risk assessments of patients of the Mackay Hospital and Health Service with psychiatric, emotional, and behavioural disturbances.
- Planning of interventions, liaison with family and professionals involved in patients’ care and coordinating other somatic treatments as required.
- Participate in the after-hours on-call roster and work towards ECT accreditation and participate subsequently in the ECT treatment rosters.
- Provide professional support, education and training to colleagues, students, and other service providers to meet mental health needs of the patient.
The Mackay Mental Health and Alcohol & Other Drugs Service comprises an acute mental health inpatient facility with 24 beds and a Step-Up Step-Down Unit with 10 beds. Community Mental Health Services include an Acute Care Service, Consultation Liaison Psychiatry, Continuing Care Team, Mobile Intensive Rehabilitation Team, Early Psychosis, Child and Youth Mental Health, Older Persons Mental Health and Alcohol & Other Drugs Service.
The role is situated within the Child and Youth Mental Health Service. In addition to the main CYMHS community mental health service, there is an Assertive Mobile Youth Outreach Service which forms part of an integrated continuum of care for adolescents requiring mental health treatment. These services are based in Mackay. The successful applicant will support and develop the outreach services to Bowen, Moranbah and Sarina rural centres. The Child and Adolescent Unit (CAU) paediatric unit in the Mackay Base Hospital have two designated mental health beds for brief admission of children and adolescents in crisis. The CYMHS service has links with the Townsville Adolescent Unit in the case of prolonged admissions, as well as support from Brisbane based Metropolitan services.
Applicants should be registered (or eligible for registration) as a specialist with the Medical Board of Australia and be a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (FRANZCP) or equivalent as an overseas trained specialist who has completed their training in either the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA (ABPN certified) or New Zealand.
- 3 years Consultant/Specialist level work experience.
- A minimum of 6 months in a formal training post in Child and Adolescent psychiatry in your basic or advanced training (if not FRANZCP).
- Experience in a multidisciplinary team context.
Located on the central coast of Queensland, the Mackay region stretches from secluded islands off the coast through golden sand beaches and into lush sub-tropical rainforests. The historic town of Mackay is filled with 1920s Art Deco buildings and public artworks, as well as a vibrant dining precinct. See wallabies on the beach at Cape Hillsborough National Park, dive with shy platypus in Eungella National Park or throw a line in at some of the state’s best fishing spots.