Waikato District Health Board (DHB) is one of 20 District Health Boards in New Zealand, and one of the largest both geographically and in terms of population (Hamilton: 200,000; Waikato region 390,000).
The catchment area stretches from the Coromandel Peninsula in the north to Mount Ruapehu in the south, and from Raglan on the west coast to Waihi on the east. It takes in the city of Hamilton and towns such as Thames, Huntly, Cambridge, Te Awamutu, Matamata, Morrinsville, Ngaruawahia, Te Kuiti, Tokoroa and Taumarunui.
Waikato DHB is also one of five tertiary teaching centres in NZ.
Waikato is also one of 5 District Health Boards which form the Midland DHBs network across the central North Island, which also includes the Lakes (Rotorua & Taupo), Taranaki (New Plymouth & Hawera), Bay of Plenty (Tauranga & Whakatane) and Tairawhiti (Gisborne) regions. Together they serve a total population of more than 854,000 with increasing collaboration on clinical service planning across the Midland region and with the primary health care sector.
Consultant / Specialist Doctors
What’s on offer for Consultant / Specialist doctor packages across the medical specialities?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000–300,000 p.a. depending on level of experience and “job size”
- Base salary range NZ$158,141–230,000 gross p.a. (40 hrs per week), depending on level of experience
- NZ$16,000 Continuing Medical Education
allowance & 10 days CME leave to attend conferences
- Dedicated non-clinical time during your week
- Multidisciplinary team working
- Contribution towards your relocation
Often opportunities to be involved in:
- Research, Medical Education and teaching
- Service development and improvements
- Collaborative working across other DHBs
To find out more about your eligibility to work in NZ, please visit the MCNZ website for details on the medical registration requirements, including primary source verification of your qualifications which was introduced by MCNZ 1st November 2017, or contact one of our recruiters below.
In particular, at the moment, we are urgently recruiting for Radiologists and Psychiatrists.
Doctors in Training
We also recruit Doctors in Training (SHOs and Registrars known as "Resident Medical Officers" or "RMOs" in NZ).
Waikato offers excellent support for their junior doctors. They previously surveyed their RMOs about what it's like to work there – here's what they had to say:
- Excellent senior and junior teaching staff
- Close links with Auckland University’s Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- World-class research library, academic and clinical skills training facilities
- Supportive atmosphere with friendly and flexible working environments
- Friendly, helpful RMO Unit dedicated to working with you and for you
- No traffic or parking problems
- Good, affordable accommodation close to the hospital
- On average, less demand on your time after-hours and at weekends than other hospitals…
- Which gives you more time to enjoy the lifestyle – restaurants, nightclubs, galleries, sports events, family activities, or enjoy the ski-fields and surf beaches in easy reach
Laura Sanders – RMO jobs across New Zealand and Australia
Hamilton and the Waikato region
As one of New Zealand’s fastest growing areas, key to Hamilton and the Waikato region’s growth is its central location and the easy access it provides to other parts of the country. Auckland City is only a 90 minute drive north.
As a university city, there is a diverse mix of arts and culture, as well as an array of sporting activities. The population is diverse, with many cultures represented and celebrated here. Events and festivals throughout the year include Diwali, Matariki (Maori New Year), garden shows, regular farmers' markets, theatre shows and music festivals, major sporting events and tournaments.
There is an array of restaurants and cafes featuring locally sourced products, a vibrant nightlife, vineyards, and wide open spaces for you to enjoy the great outdoors. Housing is affordable whether you like the idea of an urban apartment, a townhouse with a garden, or a sprawling lifestyle block just outside of the city. There is also a wide variety of schooling options to suit your family needs including public and private education facilities, primary schools, high schools and tertiary institutions.
Hamilton and the Waikato region offers a lot in terms of lifestyle and career progression.
Contact our Team today regarding current vacancies and working here!