If you’ve been thinking about making a lifestyle change and New Zealand has been on top of your bucket list, why not explore the benefits of living in the beautiful South Island of New Zealand?
Invercargill is a lovely spot and is known as “The Friendly City” – and it really is, with its clean air and wide open spaces, a welcoming community and a modern hospital. If you are a Consultant looking to start or continue your specialist career, Southland Hospital provides supportive colleagues and prospects for progression.
Southland Hospital is a modern and spacious facility, with an excellent layout, facilitating easy access to departments and staff. It provides 24-hour emergency care, acute medical/surgical services, maternity services, aged care, needs assessment, allied health services, accredited mental health inpatient and community services, district nursing and a range of specialist hospital based services.
Opportunities to advance learning and knowledge are encouraged and embraced and New Zealand's premier University of Otago and the prestigious and internationally recognised Otago School of Medicine are both easily accessible. There are a variety of education opportunities within the hospital including weekly radiology meetings, weekly clinical meetings, weekly journal club and weekly hospital-wide grand rounds. A monthly mortality audit and clinical pathology conference is also held.
- 181 bed secondary level base hospital, opened in 2004
- Wide variety of cases and an impressive range of diagnostics
- Emergency Department sees up to 30,000 presentations per annum. The ED has 21 beds and an open plan design with a central station, providing visibility to most clinical areas.
- ED is co-located with Medical Imaging, PACS digital radiology, MRI, 16-slice CT, X-Ray, Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine
- 38 bed Medical Ward and a 30 bed Rehabilitation Unit
- i.PM electronic patient management system
- Onsite pathology lab offers full range of services in haematology, microbiology, biochemistry and histology
- Relaxed, informal approach ensures easy access to clinical leaders and management
- Good collegiality among departments and close links to tertiary colleagues in Dunedin and Christchurch
The city & surrounding areas
Invercargill has real character, with its wide roads and heritage buildings reflecting the history of the city. Along with its local farmers markets, galleries, cafés and restaurants, you can also enjoy Chamber Music from visiting orchestras or Shakespeare in the park during the summer months.
As well as the usual recreational pastimes such as golfing and fishing, you can also enjoy Gold Cup horse racing, water skiing championships and motor racing. For a small city, there’s a lot going on. Locals love their down time and with short commutes to work and no traffic jams, life just feels more relaxed.
The local airport has daily flights to Christchurch and Wellington international airports, making international connections really easy.
Southland is a diverse geographic region comprising of wild, rugged coastlines, two national parks including the awe-inspiring Fiordland which features a number of New Zealand's internationally renowned ' Great Walks', such as Milford, Greenstone and Caples tracks. If you love wildlife, visit the Catlins for the yellow-eyed penguins and rare Hector’s Dolphins. Stewart Island is a charter flight or a boat ride away and so tranquil and virtually untouched, it remains one of the few places in NZ where you can see Kiwi birds at night in their natural habitat.
Oreti Beach is a nice place to sit and watch the waves crash in or walk along its beautiful shores. If adventure is more your style, then it’s only a short distance to New Zealand’s international adventure playground in Queenstown on the shores of Lake Wakatipu, with premier ski resorts, bungy jumping, heli-skiing, mountain biking, paragliding, sky diving.