Nau mai. Haere mai.
Have you been thinking about a return home to New Zealand?
Now could be the ideal time.
We're seeking Specialist Medical Oncologists (FRACP) with interests in Breast, Genitourinary, Prostrate and lung cancers to join the team at Braemar Hospital, one of New Zealand’s largest and busiest private surgical and medical hospitals, located in the vibrant university city of Hamilton in the central North Island.
- City living, 90 minutes south of Auckland
- Be a salaried employee or establish your private practice
- Brand-new purpose-built Medical Oncology Services Building
- Hold Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
- Enjoy restaurants and cafes, arts and culture, major sporting events
- Affordable housing market and excellent schooling options
- Easy access to the rest of the North Island, beautiful beaches, national parks, lakes and mountains
Braemar Hospital is the Waikato region’s foremost private surgical hospital, currently offering 85 beds and providing state of the art technology and facilities dedicated to providing the highest quality care with more than 100 specialists. They offer both day and inpatient private surgical and medical services. Situated directly across from the main public hospital (Waikato Hospital) they are the ideal location for specialists who wish to either combine public and private practice or gradually transition into their private practice.
With the current patient numbers, a time commitment of one day per week for each subspecialty is required.
Our Client recognises the need for flexibility and as such, for the right specialists, they can offer either to bring you in as a salaried employee or to assist you in establishing a private practice.
Braemar Hospital has long been a leading regional centre for private oncology surgery and in response to the growing multidisciplinary approach to improving patient care pathways and convenience they launched Braemar Oncology in April 2012. Since launch, they have seen a consistent growth driven by the quality of service, staff, environment and by recognising the patient needs within the Waikato community and wider regions for private medical oncology services.
This sustained growth has led to the development and construction of a brand-new purpose-built Medical Oncology Services Building comprising radiology imaging, consultation rooms and a class leading 13 bay medical oncology suite, which opens in May 2021.
The expansion and growing demand means this is an excellent time to join Braemar and either lead the Braemar team or simply start in your own Private Practice within an existing successful private hospital service. Braemar are experienced in supporting, transitioning and establishing new Specialists entering private practice and working through Insurance principles, private service set up and the fee for service models.
For this role, you will have specialist experience and skills in Medical Oncology (along with your subspecialty interest) and a sound understanding of contemporary models of care and Medical Oncology practice. You will have proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; and will provide a level of service that meets the goals and objectives of Braemar Hospital.
Situated right on the banks of the mighty Waikato River, Hamilton is the 4th largest city in NZ and it continues to expand.
Key to this growth is its central location, easy access to other parts of the country and its affordability. Auckland is only a 90 minute drive north and Tauranga is just over an 1hr to the east. The west coast and east coast beaches are within easy reach at weekends from Raglan, Mount Maunganui, Waihi Beach and of course, the stunning Coromandel Peninsula. Taupo, Rotorua and the Lakes region are also an easy drive away. Hamilton is a great jumping off point, allowing you to explore the best that NZ has to offer.
- Enjoy an urban or semi-rural lifestyle - whatever suits your family best
- Buoyant property market and a wide range of schools to choose from
- University city, diverse mix of arts and culture, sports, cafes, bars and restaurants
Find out more about the lifestyle in Hamilton here
There really has never been a better time to think about a move back home to New Zealand.
In the first instance, you will hold Fellowship the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) in the scope of Medical Oncology.
Alternatively, if not NZ-trained, you must hold equivalent specialist qualifications in Medical Oncology that will enable Provisional Vocational (long term) registration or Locum Tenens (short term up to 12 months) registration with MCNZ. This means having completed your specialist training in one of the following countries, resulting in the qualifications listed below:
- Australia (FRACP)
- Canada (Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada)
- Ireland (Membership/ Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland – and hold CCST/CCT)
- the UK (Membership/ Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of London/ Edinburgh or Membership/ Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow – and hold CCST/ CCT)
- the USA (Certificate of the American Board of Internal Medicine, or Certificate of the American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine AND have a minimum of 2 years clinical experience in Medical Oncology after gaining Board certification)
Locum Tenens and Provisional Vocational registration are the two pathways to medical registration in NZ for Specialist Medical Oncologists and we can assist with your medical registration and visa (if required), if you are successfully appointed.
Please note, a Doctor’s relevant qualifications must be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we encourage you to start this process off as soon as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ. You may to log on to EPIC and complete this step online. EPIC verifies your identity and your qualifications directly with you. Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.