An exciting opportunity is currently available for an experienced Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon to join the Department of Surgery at the Hervey Bay and Maryborough Hospitals.
- Fantastic lifestyle in subtropical Queensland.
- Competitive remuneration package up to AUD$466k depending on experience.
- Additional overtime & on-call allowances
- Low cost of living
- Excellent range of affordable housing
- First class and well-resourced health service
- Coastal living with islands, waterways and beaches, as well as national parks and Great Barrier Reef.
- Regular daily flights to Brisbane and Sydney.
The Role and Hospital
This role will afford you the opportunity to work in a smaller provincial hospital and demonstrate your clinical knowledge, experience and skills extending across the broad range of orthopaedic surgery. You will be comfortable working either on your own or as part of a multidisciplinary team, and you will have the chance to become involved with projects that you wouldn’t normally in a big hospital.
- Undertake clinical duties and ensure a high standard of clinical care is delivered within the Department of Orthopaedics.
- Participation in an “on-call” roster for after hour duties.
- Participate in outreach orthopaedic services to the surrounding Hospital and Health Service.
- Maintain good communications with all areas and disciplines with the hospital and surrounding areas and with local medical practitioners to ensure the smooth and effective operation of the hospital.
- Supervise the day to day activities of junior medical staff to ensure that appropriate standards of care are maintained and that junior medical staff are trained to adequately fulfil their duties.
- Provide leadership and teaching to the junior medical staff (House Officers/Registrars) allocated to the Orthopaedic Department.
Hervey Bay Hospital is the acute facility on the Fraser Coast and works in close partnership with Maryborough Hospital to deliver high quality health care to the community.
Hervey Bay Hospital has built a reputation for excellence especially in professional education and attracts medical and nursing programs in conjunction with the University of Queensland (UQ), University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Central Queensland University (CQU) and Queensland University of Technology (QUT).
A new state of the art Emergency Department opened its doors in January 2019. The new ED has 46 treatment spaces in total, including 37 emergency bays, three isolation rooms, a safe assessment room and five procedure rooms – more than doubling the department’s capacity.
Applicants should be registered (or eligible for registration) as a specialist with the Medical Board of Australia and be a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) or equivalent as an overseas trained specialist who has completed their training in either the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA or New Zealand.
The Fraser Coast is one of the most rapidly growing regional centres in Queensland with Hervey Bay listed as one of Queensland’s best natural holiday destinations. Situated only 3 hours drive north of Brisbane, with direct flights daily to Brisbane & Sydney, the region is very accessible, enjoys a mild sub-tropical climate as well as being the renowned whale watching capital of Australia.
The World Heritage listed Fraser Island and Lady Elliot Island are just a short distance away plus there is the opportunity to view humpback whales from July-November. During their annual migration, Humpback whales take time out in the protected waters of Hervey Bay. The whales perform a variety of behaviours providing a spectacular display for visitors and locals.
A range of cosmopolitan and alfresco cafes, shops, parklands, picnic areas, playgrounds along the Esplanade and a vibrant marina there is plenty to see and do.
We have a dedicated Registration Team who seamlessly manage all aspects of your regulatory and temporary work visa applications after you accept a suitable job offer, at no cost to you. Our aim is to get you ready to start work within agreed timeframes and with minimal hassle to you or your new employer.