Put down the smartphone and pick up a surfboard!
We are seeking a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon for a modern and spacious non-metropolitan hospital in Gisborne - one of the most picturesque parts of New Zealand where the work/life balance is truly a w
ay of life. It’s also becoming one of NZ’s fastest growing districts.
- First place in NZ to see the sunrise every morning
- Modern spacious hospital surroundings, with Consultant-led service
- International doctor community from USA, Scandinavia & the UK
- Coastal community where work/ life balance is a way of life
- Affordable housing and excellent schools
Working on a diverse range of presentations, you will be an excellent communicator and comfortable working in a small professional team. The department has 14 orthopaedic and eight rehabilitation beds and predominantly manages acute & elective orthopaedic patients. It also manages a number of ENT and Ophthalmology patients.
There are four orthopaedic surgeons, two ENT surgeons and one ophthalmologist who work at Gisborne Hospital. In addition to the dedicated therapy staff, the service is supported by an Orthopaedic Specialty Nurse who is responsible for the planning and pre-assessment of elective surgical workload.
The Hospital is well supported locally by comprehensive surgical services, and has a full range of diagnostic facilities on site including a new MRI scanner, CT scanner and 24 hour on-site laboratory facilities. They also have strong ties with their tertiary referral centre in Hamilton.
Gisborne Hospital is committed to the needs of Maori who make up 65% of admissions to the hospital and form 46.2% of the region’s total population of 46,000. So there is also an active focus on Maori Health issues and respecting Maori culture and customs with regards to patient care. For those not from New Zealand, this provides valuable exposure and experiences both professionally and socially.
New Zealand is the size of Great Britain but with 56 million less people. People tend to be very relaxed, have more space and queues and traffic jams are rarities, especially here on the East Cape of the North Island.
Gisborne is the capital coastal city of the area with a regional population 46,000, known for its laidback lifestyle and white sandy beaches. Referred to as “Gizzy” by the locals, it features a prevalent café culture and restaurants which serve locally sourced fresh produce, and some of the best New Zealand wines and cheeses. Local schools are excellent and real estate is affordably priced. Major industries contributing to the local economy include horticulture, wine production, farming, forestry and fishing.
Gisborne generally enjoys warm summers (up to mid-30s degrees) and mild winters and is one of the sunniest places in New Zealand with average yearly sunshine of around 2200 hours. And it's also the first place in New Zealand to see the sunrise each morning.
Locals enjoy easy access to a fantastic untouched natural environment, which lends itself to such outdoor pastimes as surfing, fishing, sailing, swimming, mountain biking and hill walking to name a few. It’s also a popular holiday destination for other visiting Kiwis in the summertime, which also features annual music festivals and surfing competitions.
Find out more about Gisborne and the East Cape here
- Experience a comparable health system where your qualifications are recognised
- Competitive remuneration packages (circa NZD$180k to NZD$280k pro-rata, depending on experience)
- Generous relocation assistance
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) allowance + 10 days CME leave per annum pro rata
- Multidisciplinary team working
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and it was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
Consultants are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand. There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We are Licenced New Zealand Immigration Advisors and provide support & advice
We have assisted many Doctors in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
We are also offering a special referral reward during February, so if you refer a Friend and we place them, you’ll receive £500! Click here for details…