We are seeking a Consultant in Emergency Medicine for a full-time 6 month contract in a regional base hospital in Whangarei, in the stunning subtropical Northland region of NZ.This is the perfect time to discover all New Zealand has to offer and escape the winter to enjoy the Kiwi Summer!
- Relaxed lifestyle in a subtropical climate
- ED sees 48,000 patients annually, of which 30% are admitted and 25% paediatric
- Broad casemix, which includes significant component of trauma care
- Accredited for advanced training in Emergency Medicine
- Affordable housing and excellent schools
- Gateway to the Bay of Islands, with superior Golf Courses, excellent diving and sailing
- 2 hour drive north of Auckland
Whangarei Hospital is the largest hospital in Northland providing secondary care services, supported by three small satellite hospitals in Kaitaia, Kawakawa, and Dargaville. Northland covers an area of 12,600 square kilometres with a population of approximately 164,000, 32% of which identify as Maori so there is an active focus on Maori Health issues and respecting Maori culture and customs with regards to patient care.
The department is accredited with ACEM for 12 months Advanced Training and Paediatric Log Book Training and has a successful training program for both Part 1 and Part 2 trainees. They are currently staffed with 8 FACEMs, 1 MOSS, 6 Registrars and 6 SHO's. The successful candidate is expected to work four days/evenings weekly, which includes one in four weekends. Nights are covered on an on call basis by the Senior Staff.
Whangarei is called the “Meeting place of the Pacific” because of its many international yachting visitors and the Northland region boasts some of the most scenic and exciting coastal areas of NZ in a subtropical climate. Its rich in Maori and European history, some of the oldest traces of Maori settlement can be found here and newcomers will experience a real connection with the culture and way of life.
With its high sunshine hours and fantastic natural environment, including white sandy beaches and native forests, it has the reputation of being one of the country’s premier tourist and lifestyle destinations, and is a popular holiday choice for both Kiwis and international visitors. As a result, the region has developed into a real melting pot of cultures, which provides valuable exposure and experiences both professionally and socially. You can enjoy al fresco dining, world class scuba diving, fishing, sailing, surfing, swimming with dolphins and so much more. Popular water recreation areas include the Bay of Islands and Poor Knights Islands Reserves.
Whangarei has a busy domestic airport, as well as easy access transport links to Auckland, New Zealand’s largest city which is only a two hour drive away
Find out more about Whangarei and the Northland region
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and it was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
Consultants are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand.
There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We are Licenced New Zealand Immigration Advisors and provide support & advice
We have assisted many Doctors in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
We also offer a referral reward if you refer a Friend and we place them! Click here for details…
Contact Caroline O’Hagan for more details or to have a confidential chat.
Please note, Caroline is now based in Wellington, New Zealand.