GP 6 month contract (must be able to start 26th October)
There is a small Health Service on St Helena, however, as a result of the covid-19 virus the government are taking steps to ensure they have the required additional resources in the event that the virus presents itself on the island. Currently there are no confirmed cases.
PLEASE NOTE: A CHARTERED PLANE HAS BEEN ORGANISED TO FLY FROM STANSTEAD AIRPORT ON 26TH OCTOBER AND THEREFORE TO BE CONSIDERED YOU MUST BE ABLE TO JOIN THIS FLIGHT. COMMERCIAL FLIGHTS ARE NOT BEING ACCEPTED ON THE ISLAND
We are looking to recruit a General Practitioner for predominantly intensive care treatment:
• Be responsible for all intensive care patients, at the hospital and/or isolation unit (Bradleys Camp);
• Responsible for stabilisation and the care of critically ill patients;
• To provide direct clinical care, routine follow-up care and respond to urgent care needs
• care of in-patients as well as being first on-call, supporting the nursing staff in the triage and attendance of urgent care and emergencies.
Subject to demand, general duties may be required, which would include:
• run out-patient clinics covering a wide range of clinical needs, including care for patients with diabetes, hypertension, cardio-pulmonary disease which are highly prevalent on the island
• be actively involved in preventive care and lifestyles management and serve as the clinical champion for preventive service development
• With support from overseas specialists and using local therapeutic guidelines and protocols, you will also be expected to consult paediatrics, ENT, ophthalmology patients.
• participate in training of other healthcare staff, clinical governance work including audits, clinical outcome data collation and reporting.
• participate in incident management, outbreak response and other healthcare emergencies
• participate in health promotion and preventative care programmes.
The General Practitioner will be a member of the general on-call rota to provide emergency out-of-hours care with back-up support from other medical professionals on island as required.
Salary of £85,000 pro- rata, plus free flights and accommodation allowance....not to mention an amazing adventure to this truly unique remote island