Thinking about your next career move, you won’t find a more unique location if you love the active outdoors. We’re seeking an experienced General Physician to be based in Rotorua, in the beautiful Lakes region of the Central North Island.
- Ideal for those who love the active outdoors lifestyle – pack the paddleboard, fishing rod, mountain bike and trainers!
- Permanent position, commencing 2022
- FRACP or equivalent specialist qualifications, e.g. FRCP and CCT
- There is a requirement to undertake inpatient and outpatient General Internal Medicine responsibilities and to participate in the acute on call roster
- Excellent schools and affordable housing
- Lovely climate with hot summers and mild winters
- Explore stunning landscapes on your doorstep – lakes, mountains, national parks, native forest, geothermal wonders
- Rotorua's central North Island location provides easy access to the rest of the North Island
Our Client is a medium sized District Health Board delivering specialist services to a population of 110,000 people across two district general hospital sites in Rotorua and Taupō (1 hour drive from Rotorua). This role is based in Rotorua Hospital.
You will join a team of experienced physicians, all of whom have a subspecialty interests (Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Respiratory).
For this role, you will have broad specialist experience within general medicine, and a sound understanding of contemporary models of care. You will also have experience of working in a culturally diverse setting.
You will have proven leadership skills and experience in working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching, including providing supervision and education to house officers, registrars and other clinical staff; and of course, a commitment to ongoing quality improvement programmes.
If you’re not familiar with this part of New Zealand, Rotorua and the Lakes region is visually stunning and an area of unique natural beauty and geothermal activity, offering a great outdoors lifestyle, perfect for taking advantage of the region’s hot summers and mild winters. Although it’s a small city (population 65,000), it’s vibrant and has a huge tourist and adventure sports industry that drives the local economy all year round.
If you enjoy the adrenalin buzz, hanging off rocks, jumping off bridges, rafting down fierce water, doing triathlons and ultramarathons, climbing mountains, ziplining through trees, riding mountain bikes through native forest, you will really love it here…
But there’s also lots to do if you enjoy a more leisurely pace of life with great little cafés, bars and restaurants, as well as the many lakes where you can enjoy fishing, sailing, swimming, walking. You can simply enjoy living in a lovely location in a lovely climate.
It’s an area steeped in history and legend, a place where Tikanga Māori/Māori culture is celebrated, making this a truly unique place to live.
There is a domestic airport with daily flights to Auckland’s international airport, making connections to/from Rotorua very easy and accessible (45 minutes). And being so centrally located, it’s a great jumping off point to other parts of the North Island and New Zealand.
Find out more about the Rotorua Lifestyle by clicking here
What’s on offer?
- Total package ranges NZ$180,000 - $300,000 per annum, depending on experience
- This includes: Base salary from NZ$164,369 to $244,560 pa, depending on level of experience; On call calculated on top of your base; Continuing Medical Education Allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave pa
- Plus relocation assistance
Ideally, you will hold Fellowship of the Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ-trained, you must hold equivalent specialist qualifications in General Internal Medicine that will enable Provisional Vocational (long term) registration or Locum Tenens (short term up to 12 months) registration with MCNZ.
This means having completed your specialist training in one of the following countries, resulting in the qualifications listed below:
- Australia (FRACP)
- Canada (Fellowship in Internal Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada)
- Ireland (Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland – and hold CCST/CCT)
- the UK (Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of London/ Edinburgh or Membership/ Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow – and hold CCST/ CCT)
- the USA (Certificate of the American Board of Internal Medicine and have a minimum of 2 years clinical experience in internal medicine after gaining Board certification)
Locum Tenens and Provisional Vocational registration are the two pathways to medical registration in NZ for Specialist Physicians and we can assist with your medical registration and visa, if successfully appointed.
Please note, a Doctor’s relevant qualifications must be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we encourage you to start this process off as soon as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ. You may to log on to EPIC and complete this step online. EPIC verifies your identity and your qualifications directly with you. Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.