We are seeking a Consultant Forensic Psychiatric Consultant to be based in Dunedin – an area well known as the Edinburgh of the South, but with much better weather!
- Permanent position but would consider fixed term
- 350-bed tertiary level teaching hospital
- Vibrant university city offering cafes, pubs, restaurants, live music, nightlife and shopping
- Home to the Dunedin School of Medicine, part of The University of Otago
You will be joining the Forensic team which is one of only two regional services in the South Island and includes a secure 13 bed inpatient ward, community team and prison and court liaison service, offering a developing level of specialisation and expertise in your chosen field. The service offers a full range of criminal forensic psychiatric services and there is flexibility to work in your preferred areas of the service.
You will be expected to be on the service-wide on-call roster (supporting the on-call registrar). With the strong links to the Otago Medical School you will be able to enjoy teaching medical students and registrars. Opportunities to be appointed as a Clinical Lecturer in the Department of Psychological Medicine also exist.
Dunedin is the second largest city in the South Island and is one of four main urban centres of New Zealand. Known for it’s heritage and hospitality, Dunedin is an educated, enterprising, liberal, expressive and intriguing city with a real community spirit that embraces new ideas, new people, new enterprises and the more unique the better. With a proven record of educational and entrepreneurial excellence, it’s a city that fosters innovation and creativity, that revels in its underground arts, music and culture scene and flaunts its dramatic scenery.
There is plenty to enjoy in this city, from an excellent restaurant and café culture, a brilliant shopping and fashion industry, a vibrant arts and entertainment scene, a brand new and extremely impressive stadium which was purpose built for the Rugby World Cup, surf beaches and more. Add to this the spectacular scenery and diversity of leisure time opportunities available in the region, including mountain biking, hiking, wine country and lakes, plus the close proximity to Queenstown and Wanaka for skiing and adventure pursuits and you’ll realise why the region’s population is growing as more and more people choose to make it their home. It’s about deciding whether you want the ten-minute drive, the 15-minute bike ride or the half hour walk to work. It’s about deciding what to do on the weekend – surf, drink coffee, shop or hike in the mountains just down the road. Dunedin is a safe environment and a treasure trove of family fun! Follow the link to find out more about living in Dunedin.
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and it was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
Consultants are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand.
There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We are Licenced New Zealand Immigration Advisors and provide support & advice
We have assisted many Doctors in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page