We are seeking a consultant Otolaryngologist to join the team in Invercargill in the stunning South Island.
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Supportive multidisciplinary team
- Explore Queenstown, Wanaka, Fiordland, Stewart Island and The Catlins
For this role: This is a generalist ENT role where you will provide a wide range of clinical and surgical care for the local adult and paediatric population. You will join a full time colleague and will receive additional service support on a weekly basis from the team of 5 ENT surgeons in Dunedin. There is a considerable head and neck cancer workload and training in this area can be offered if required. You will also assist with the education and supervision of surgical trainees and medical students.
Invercargill is a lovely spot and is known as “The Friendly City” – and it really is, with its clean air and wide open spaces, a welcoming community and a modern hospital. If you are Consultant looking to start or continue your specialist career, Southland Hospital provides supportive colleagues and prospects for progression.
Invercargill has real character, with its wide roads and heritage buildings reflecting the history of the city. For a small city, there’s a lot going on. Locals love their down time and with short commutes to work and no traffic jams, life just feels more relaxed.
The local airport has daily flights to Christchurch and Wellington international airports, making international connections really easy.
Southland is a diverse geographic region comprising of wild, rugged coastlines, two national parks including the awe inspiring Fiordland which features a number of New Zealand's internationally renowned ' Great Walks', i.e Milford, Greenstone and Caples tracks. If you enjoy wildlife, visit the Catlins for the yellow-eyed penguins and rare Hector’s Dolphins. Stewart Island is a charter flight or a boat ride away and so tranquil and virtually untouched, it remains one of the few places in NZ where you can see Kiwi birds at night in their natural habitat…but only if you stay quiet, because they’re very shy.
Oreti Beach is a nice place to sit and watch the waves crash in or walk along its beautiful shores. If adventure is more your style, then it’s only a short distance to New Zealand’s international adventure playground in Queenstown on the shores of Lake Wakatipu, with premier ski resorts, bungy jumping, heli-skiing, mountain biking, paragliding, sky diving…
With its temperate oceanic climate, you do get a real sense of summer and winter, which means you can enjoy a range of pastimes on the water or on the slopes. In high summer they can experience 23 – 28c degree days. Just because you’re down south, it doesn’t mean it’s always cold!
Although if the cold is something you happily embrace, Invercargill is also a stop off point for international Antarctic expeditions and an easy drive to the snowy slopes. Southland Hospital also maintains staff holiday homes in Queenstown, Te Anau and Arrowtown, so you and the family can explore all these wonderful locations.
What’s on offer?
- Total package ranges NZ$180,000 - $300,000 per annum, depending on level of experience
- This includes: Base salary from NZ$164,369 to $244,560 pa, depending on level of experience; On call calculated on top of your base; Continuing Medical Education Allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave pa.
- Plus relocation assistance
Requirements for this role
Ideally, you will hold Fellowship in Otolaryngology from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of NZ (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ-trained, you must hold equivalent specialist qualifications in Otolaryngology that will enable Provisional Vocational (long term) registration or Locum Tenens (short term up to 12 months) registration with MCNZ. This means having completed your specialist training in one of the following:
- Australia (FRACS)
- Canada (Fellowship in Otolaryngology from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada)
- Ireland (Fellowship in Otolaryngology from the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland via CCT)
- UK (Fellowship in Otolaryngology from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh via CCT, or Fellowship in Otolaryngology from the Royal College of Surgeons of England via CCT, or Fellowship in Otolaryngology from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow via CCT)
- USA (Board Certification of the American Board of Otolaryngology, or Board Certification of the American Osteopathic Boards of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology – head and neck surgery)
These are the specialist pathways for medical registration in NZ for Otolaryngologists/ ENT Surgeons and we can assist with medical registration and visa, if successfully appointed.
Please note, a Doctor’s relevant qualifications must be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we encourage you to start this process off as soon as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ. You may to log on to EPIC and complete this step online. EPIC verifies your identity and your qualifications directly with you. Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.