Emergency Medicine Specialist
Emergency Medicine Specialists – Permanent
Our client is located in one of the most beautiful and sunny parts of New Zealand. With a population of just under 50,000, this region has the highest proportion of Māori in any District Health Board (53.5% percent). The rugged geography and dispersed population creates challenges and opportunities in delivering healthcare across the region.
We offer a unique opportunity to join the Emergency Department at the Hospital. In addition to bringing your Emergency Medicine expertise, you will be able to make a significant contribution to address inequities in health care. As the hospital expands, we anticipate other opportunities including leadership, participation in aeromedical retrievals, medical education and EM outreach services.
Who we are?
The Hospital is the primary health care facility on the East Coast of New Zealand. The Hospital is a 115-bed teaching hospital and has inpatient services in medical and surgical, women's health and paediatrics. Total yearly attendances of 25,000 and a 20 percent admission rate. The department has 15 beds, which include resuscitation, and isolation bays. There is access to onsite laboratory and radiology facilities (CT and MRI). There are plans for expansion of the facility and obtaining accreditation with ACEM as a training site. The group is comprised of FACEM or vocationally registered emergency specialist working with urgent care doctors.
- Enjoy an incredible lifestyle with beautiful, world-class beaches, and an excellent selection of local wineries, cafes and bars set amongst a landscape suited to a variety of outdoor sports and adventure.
- Excellent exposure to a wide variety of pathologies in a mixed Emergency Department
- Minimal bed block with excellent compliance against the 6-hour target
- Attractive salary package including special allowances
- Accommodation and vehicle package
- CME package of $16 K annually
- Better work/life balance -short flexible clinical shifts (eight hours) with night shifts optional, 30% Non-clinical time (12 hours/week)
- Access to 10 weeks of leave annually
If you’re looking for work life balance, this is the place to be! it is the first place in the world to see the sun, and also holds the title of New Zealand’s surfing capital. With a sunny climate and both amazing beaches and picturesque landscapes, you are spoiled for choice when it comes to outdoor fun. Many options of consistent surf breaks make it easy to get in a surf before or after work, or explore one of the many walking tracks, paddle the river, or ride the local mountain bike park! The region also boasts a varied cultural scene, as the home of festivals like Rhythm and Vines, First Light Wine and Food, and Te Tairāwhiti Arts. The influence of the region’s large Māori population is deeply felt in the language, art, and culture you can experience here.
The successful candidate will have:
- Registration or be eligible for registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Medical Council of New Zealand
- Fellowship of the Australasian College of Emergency Medicine (FACEM) or Equivalent
- Demonstrated clinical experience in the management of high acuity complex patients
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop partnerships and work collaboratively within a team
- A commitment to clinical excellence and delivering equitable healthcare
- New Zealand residency or meet eligibility criteria to immigrate to New Zealand
If you are interested in this position, please apply online and attach an up to date copy of your CV so we can view your experience in detail and assess the level of assistance we can provide.