Consultant Surgeon - St Helena, South Atlantic
3 -6 month contract – flight departs UK approx. 14th April
Salary £85,000 per annum pro rata plus allowances
A short-term contract is available for an experienced Surgeon to work on the outstandingly beautiful island of St Helena, located in the South Atlantic Ocean. This post is to last 3-6 months, although duration is negotiable, and you must be available to fly on the departing flight around 14th April – specific details tbc.
There is a small Health Service on St Helena, however, as a result of the covid-19 virus the government are taking steps to ensure we have the required additional resources in the event that the virus presents itself on the island. Currently there are no confirmed cases. We therefore require a second surgeon to:
- Manage the surgical service and to work in close co-operation with the SMO, other medical officers and nursing staff in the management of surgical cases
- To review and advise on referral and distant advice criteria for surgical cases
- Provide pre and post-operative care
- Provide 24-hour cover for surgical emergencies
Subject to demand, general duties may be required, which would include:
- Participate in the general practice clinics and share out-patient and in-patient duties;
- To undertake on-call duties as part of the doctors’ duty rosta
- Assisting medical colleagues with their caseload; provide specialist assistance in particular areas of expertise when and where appropriate.
The Surgeon will be on-call 24/7 for surgical emergencies but will also be a member of the general on-call rota to provide emergency out-of-hours care with back-up support from other medical professionals on island as required.
- Full G.M.C. registration or equivalence and good standing with that body;
- F.R.C.S. (or equivalent qualification of experience)
- 10 years postgraduate experience
- M.B.;ChB or B.M.; B.S.; B.A.O.; B.C.H
- Good command of the English language.
Please get in touch as soon as possible to discuss the full job details and your availability.