An opportunity is available for a specialist psychiatrist in the field of Rehabilitation Mental Health Services.
- Family-oriented lifestyle in a vibrant coastal regional city in sub-tropical North Queensland
- Local airport servicing Sydney (2hr35min), Melbourne (3hr) and Brisbane (1hr50 min)
- Main base hospital for the region
- Competitive remuneration package (up to AUD$500,000, depending on experience)
- Excellent public and private schools available, as well as tertiary institutions
- Affordable housing
The Role and Hospital
The Consultant/Staff Specialist Rehabilitation Psychiatrist will:
- Provide high quality clinical and non-clinical services to benefit the patients of the Townsville Hospital and Health Service (THHS). This includes research as well as teaching the health professionals of the future.
- Position is available for specialist psychiatrist in the field of:
- Rehabilitation Mental Health Services Program Area
- Working knowledge in Forensic Psychiatry and familiarity with its principles
- Work in a collegial, multi-disciplinary team (MDT) settings, within a supportive framework of peer and operational supports. The Secure Mental Health Rehab Unit (SMHRU) Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) includes a psychiatry registrar/principle house officer and a resident medical officer. The broader Rehabilitation Mental Health Services Program Area includes a Clinical Director, 3 psychiatrists, 3 psychiatry registrars/principal house officers and 2 resident medical officers.
- Work as part of the Rehabilitation Mental Health Services Program Area to deliver care to consumers with complex rehabilitation needs, who require treatment in a secure environment due to their risks or vulnerabilities.
The Townsville HHS is the largest tertiary health service in northern Australia. Townsville University Hospital provides, complex, high level services across a wide range of specialities including cardiothoracic, neurosurgery, adult and paediatric ICU, general surgery, medicine, radiation and medical oncology, transplant haematology, paediatrics, obstetrics and neonatology to the North Queensland region. Uniquely, Townsville University Hospital is the only tertiary facility in Queensland to offer all of these services within the one hospital.
Applicants should be registered (or eligible for registration) as a specialist with the Medical Board of Australia and be a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (FRANZCP) or equivalent as an overseas trained specialist who has completed their training in either the UK, Ireland, Canada, USA or New Zealand.
- 3 years Consultant/Specialist level work experience.
- A minimum of 6 months in a formal training post in Child and Adolescent psychiatry in your basic or advanced training (if not FRANZCP).
- Experience in a multidisciplinary team context.
Townsville is the largest regional centre in the North and a major gateway to the Great Barrier Reef.
The gorgeous weather promotes an outdoor lifestyle as the sun shines nearly all year round (320+ days/year). Enjoy the benefits of urban living without being trapped in a commuter nightmare of metropolitan traffic. Appreciate the country town `feel' and change your pace as you absorb the local tropical/coastal flow.
The city heart provides opportunity for boutique shopping, fine dining experiences, cultural events and a bustling nightlife. The Strand is Townsville's waterfront esplanade; take a stroll along the picturesque paths, do some shopping or attend the night markets, be spoilt for choice with alfresco dining options, sit and relax while the kids play at the water park or one of the family fun areas. Picnic and BBQ facilities are available, as well as gym equipment (including a rock climbing wall) and amenities. Swim in the man-made rockpool or the lifeguard monitored beaches. All with magnificent views of the jewel in Townsville's crown, Magnetic Island. A short, scenic ferry ride will get you there.