We are seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist to join a busy Acute Mental Health Recovery Unit in New Zealand’s capital city, Wellington.
As part of a multi- disciplinary team, you will be an innovative and enthusiastic consultant psychiatrist who has a specialist interest and experience in adult acute psychiatry. The unit provides acute and intensive inpatient services for people experiencing severe mental distress, too unwell to be cared for at home and who require intensive care, treatment and support. The focus for treatment at the unit is on recovery and returning people to their home, usually within 2-3 weeks, with community support if required. They aim to provide the best possible clinical care in a respectful, supportive, safe and caring environment.
- Experience a comparable health system where your qualifications are recognised
- Competitive remuneration packages (circa NZD$180k to NZD$280k, depending on your experience)
- Generous relocation assistance
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) allowance plus 10 days CME leave
- Multidisciplinary team working
Ranked 4th best place to visit in the world by Lonely Planet in 2011, Wellington (population 350,000) is the political and cultural centre of New Zealand, offering the luxury of living in a small city with big city advantages, with a magnificent harbour framed by hills. The relatively young and affluent population is reflected in the excellent range of schools, the huge range of cultural events and more cafes and restaurants per head of population than New York (by the way, Wellingtonians love their coffee!).
The international airport makes connections to the other parts of the world and elsewhere within New Zealand very easy. Housing is affordable and of a high quality with a range of lifestyle options whether you want to live in a city apartment, beach house or country property and nearly every inhabitant lives within 3km of the coast. Beyond the city and its beautiful harbour you have a wild and rugged coastline, mountains, ski fields, wineries and historical towns all within easy reach making this a perfect lifestyle destination.
More on Wellington
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and it was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
- Consultants are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand. There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We have assisted many Doctors in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
Find out more about our Referral Reward Scheme Click here for details
Read our Guide to Living and Working in New Zealand to learn more about the lifestyle
Learn more about the English Language requirements and if they are applicable to you