New Year. New Job. New Lifestyle ... New Zealand 2020
We're seeking a dedicated Consultant Psychiatrist (General Adult) for the Mental Health & Addiction Service in Palmerston North, in the central North Island.
This role is primarily based in an Inpatient setting with flexibility to also work in a Community setting, if you wish.
- Just a 2 hour drive from Wellington City
- Permanent position, commencing 2020
- FRANZCP or equivalent qualifications, e.g. FRCPsych/ MRCPsych with CCT
- Participate in the after hours on-call
- Easy commute to and from work
- Affordable housing and excellent schools
- Welcoming, multicultural community
- Excellent central location to explore the rest of the North Island, including the west coast beaches in Foxton and Himatangi, the fabulous Hawke’s Bay vineyards, premier ski resorts, as well as the lakes in Taupo and Rotorua.
The Service has embarked on a significant transformation programme in the past 12 months, as they move to implement the recommendations from the ‘He Ara Oranga, Mental Health & Addiction Inquiry’. With a new clinical leadership team, the service is consolidating their recent gains and further developing an integrated range of well-connected services along with their Non-Government Organisation partners in the community.
There are opportunities to participate in the further development of the service delivery model, develop an area of special interest or become involved in research.
MHAS provides comprehensive community-based mental health services across the complete age range including:
- Child, adolescent and family mental health services
- Comprehensive community adult services
- Specialist Maori mental health services (Oranga Hinengaro)
- Specialist services for Mental Health for the elderly
- Specialist community alcohol and drug services including OST services
- Comprehensive 24 hour acute care services (crisis intervention service)
- Acute inpatient services (including intensive mental health care-26 beds)
- General hospital liaison psychiatry
- Early intervention services
- Intensive community rehabilitation services
They have a commitment to continuing medical education and professional development and their peer review group is enrolled with the maintenance of professional standards programme of the Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists. They are recognised by the College for registrar training in inpatient, general adult community, and child and adolescent psychiatry, and this is an area they are looking to further develop.
For this role, you will have broad specialist experience in General Adult Psychiatry and a sound understanding of contemporary models of care.
In addition, you will also have proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching, including providing supervision and education to medical students, registrars and other clinical staff; and of course, a commitment to contributing to ongoing quality improvement programmes.
What’s on offer?
- Total package ranges NZ$190,000 - $300,000 per annum, depending on experience
- This includes: Base salary from NZ$161,304 to $240,000 pa (approx £81,000 to £120,000 pa), depending on level of experience; On call calculated on top of your base; Continuing Medical Education Allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave pa.
- Plus relocation assistance
Palmerston North (population: urban 80,000, regional 168,000) is an inland city surrounded by rich farmland and lush, green hills. It has all the facilities that you would expect of a city, yet is still compact and easy to navigate. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants, a local airport and a wealth of sporting activities and community festivals if you want to get involved.
Living here is affordable, with high quality housing and a reputation for its excellent primary, secondary and tertiary education facilities, there is a lot to offer families of all ages. The commute to work is only 10-15 minutes from anywhere in the city.
If you prefer to live in a smaller township and a relaxed lifestyle, just a 15 minute drive away from Palmerston North is the town of Feilding, voted New Zealand’s most beautiful town 14 times, with its gorgeous gardens, Edwardian buildings and Farmers Markets at the weekend, it’s a great place to be based with a real sense of community and hospitality.
Whether you decide to live in Palmerston North itself or Feilding, or any of the other small towns in the Manawatu region, the location in the middle of the North Island means you will be within easy driving distance of premier ski resorts at Turoa and Whakapapa to the north, the lush Hawke’s Bay wine region to the east, clean and quiet unspoilt beaches (Himatangi, Foxton, Otaki) along the West Coast, and of course, to the South is NZ’s capital city of Wellington (2 hour drive).
The local airport has daily commuter flights to Wellington and Auckland, making international flight connections easy.
Watch this short video – “Move to Manawatu” (courtesy of ManawatuNZ.co.nz)
Explore Palmerston North and the Manawatu region here
Medical Registration Requirements
Ideally, you will hold FRANZCP and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ-trained, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications from either UK (via FRCPsych/ MRCPsych and CCT), Australia (FRANZCP), Canada (FRCPSC), or the USA (American Board Certified) that will enable specialist registration with Medical Council of New Zealand via the Provisional Vocational registration (long term) pathway or Locum Tenens (short term, up to 12 months) registration pathway.
These are the two specialist pathways for Psychiatrists in NZ.
If appointed, in order to gain provisional vocational registration (long term specialist registration) your combination of qualifications, training and experience will be assessed by the Medical Council of NZ against the standard of the FRANZCP (please visit the link).
If interested in this role, but unsure if your experience is applicable, please get in touch with your CV and we can provide further guidance.
**Primary Source Verification using EPIC **
From 1st November 2017, all relevant qualifications must now be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we recommend starting this process off as soon as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ. Candidates can log on to EPIC and complete this step online very easily. EPIC verifies your identity and your qualifications.
Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.
Photo credit: The Square, Palmerston North - ManawatuNZ.co.nz