Come and live in one of the best lifestyle spots in NZ!
We’re seeking Consultant Psychiatrists (General Adult) for an expanding team based in Tauranga, one of NZ's fastest growing cities.
- Enjoy the beach life before and after work everyday
- Full time, permanent position
- Accredited training hospital for Registrars and Medical Students
- FRANZCP or equivalent specialist qualification
- Well-established team with a vision for the future of their service
The Mental Health & Addiction Service includes General Adult Inpatient and Outpatient services, Psychogeriatrics, Consult Liaison, Child and Adolescent, Drug and Alcohol and Maternal Mental Health services.
There are opportunities for research and teaching with the Bay of Plenty District Health Board’s own Clinical School as well as the close links with University of Auckland.
They are an accredited site for Psychiatry Registrars training through the Upper Central North Island (UCNI) training scheme and 5th and 6th year medical students through the University of Auckland.
For these roles, you will have broad experience and skills across General Adult Psychiatry, in both community and inpatient settings, along with a sound understanding of contemporary models of care; proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching; and a commitment and willingness to be involved in continuous quality improvement programmes.
What’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$190,000 - $300,000 pa, depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$161,304 - $240,000 pa (£83,000 - £125,000)
- Plus on call on top of your base
- Continuing Medical Education allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave per annum
- Relocation assistance
Tauranga is now the 5th largest city in New Zealand with an urban population of 130,000 (regionally 230,000) and is only a 2.5 hour drive south of Auckland. It has always been a premier destination, but with the strong NZ economy and a buoyant housing market, Tauranga is now the fastest growing city in New Zealand.
Tauranga, and in particular the suburb of Mount Maunganui, is well known for many things - the mountain (Mauao), the sunshine, the café and restaurant scene, the surfing, the white sandy beaches and natural salt water hotpools, the local markets with fresh produce, the safe and family-friendly lifestyle with excellent schools, and high-end real estate.
There is a domestic airport with regular daily flights to Auckland's International airport (just 35 minutes!), making connections to/from Tauranga very easy.
- Excellent schools with a tertiary campus that opened in 2019
- Live in a beachfront property, apartment, townhouse, or semi-rurally with some land
- Enjoy the beach life – paddleboard, surf, fish, kayak, swim or enjoy one of many coastal walks
- See diverse marine life – dolphins, whales and orca
Click on the link for more details about the local area, Tauranga & the Bay of Plenty
Medical Registration Requirement
Ideally, you will hold FRANZCP and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
If not NZ trained or based, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications in psychiatry, e.g. MRCPsych (with UK CCT). If appointed, in order to gain provisional vocational registration your combination of qualifications, training and experience will then be assessed by the Medical Council of NZ against the standard of the FRANZCP.
Primary Source Verification of Qualifications via EPIC
From 1st November 2017, all relevant medical qualifications must now be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we recommend starting this process off as early as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ.
Doctors are required to complete this step online, as EPIC verifies an individual’s identity and medical qualifications.
Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.