Is 2017 the year to make the move to New Zealand?
Consultant Psychiatrist (General Adult) Community, required for a 350 bed district general hospital in Palmerston North, (NZ’s seventh largest city) in the central North Island. This is a large teaching hospital that is well-respected, enjoying close links with both Auckland and Otago Medical Schools.
The Mental Health Service provides secondary care for general adult mental health in the community, inpatient services, eating disorders, maternal mental health, mobile assertive follow up, co-existing disorder & community rehabilitation. Specialist secondary services provided include Maori Mental Health, Child Adolescent and Family, and Alcohol & Other Drugs Services.
The Mental Health service also manages service coordination, carer relief, home support, packages of care for adults with a psychiatric disability and acute care packages for children and young people.
Inpatient and Community based services include:
- Extended hours crisis intervention services
- Acute inpatient services (including intensive mental health care)
- Community-based mental health care
- Early intervention services
- General hospital liaison psychiatry
- Alcohol and drug services
- Dual diagnosis service
- Day activity/rehabilitation programmes
- Intensive community rehabilitation services
- Outreach clinics
- Child, adolescent and family mental health services
- Specialist Maori mental health services (Oranga Hinengaro)
Palmerston North (population: urban 80,000, regional 168,000) has a genuine, easygoing vibe. It has all the facilities that you would expect of a city, yet is still compact and easy to navigate. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants, a local airport and a wealth of sporting activities and community festivals if you want to get involved. Living here is very affordable, with quality housing and a reputation for its excellent primary, secondary and tertiary education facilities, there is a lot to offer families of all ages. And the commute to work is circa 10-15 minutes from anywhere in the city.
If you prefer to live a semi-rural relaxed lifestyle, just a 15 minute drive away from Palmerston North is the town of Feilding, voted New Zealand’s most beautiful town 14 times, with its gorgeous gardens, Edwardian buildings and Farmers Markets at the weekend, it’s a great place for families with a real sense of community and hospitality.
Whether you decide to live in Palmerston North itself or Feilding, or any of the other little towns in the Manawatu region, the location in the middle of the North Island means you will be within easy driving distance of premier ski resorts at Turoa and Whakapapa to the north, the lush Hawke’s Bay wine region to the east, clean and quiet unspoilt beaches (Himatangi, Foxton, Otaki) along the West Coast, and of course, to the South is NZ’s capital city of Wellington (2 hour drive).
Find out more about Palmerston North and the Manawatu region here.
- Experience a comparable health system where your qualifications are recognised
- Competitive remuneration packages (circa NZD$180k to NZD$280k, depending on your experience)
- Generous relocation assistance
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) allowance plus 10 days CME leave
- Multidisciplinary team working and opportunities to be involved in teaching the next generation of psychiatrists
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and it was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
Consultant Psychiatrists are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand.
There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We are Licenced New Zealand Immigration Advisors and provide support & advice
We have assisted many Psychiatrists in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
We also offer a referral reward, so if you refer a Friend and we place them, you’ll receive £500! Click here for details…