New Job. New Lifestyle. New Zealand 2022.
If you’re thinking about your next career move, you won’t find a more unique location if you love the active outdoors. We’re seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist (Addictions/ Alcohol and Drug) to be based in Rotorua, in the beautiful Lakes region of the Central North Island.
- Ideal for those who love the active outdoors lifestyle – pack the paddleboard, mountain bike and trainers!
- 20% recruitment and retention bonus
- Permanent position, commence 2022
- FRANZCP or equivalent specialist qualifications, e.g. MRCPsych/ FRCPsych with CCT
- Specialist experience in Addiction Psychiatry
- Participate in the on call 1:6 roster
- Ideally, experience working in the alcohol and other drug sector; preferably within Opioid Substitution Treatment and/or substance withdrawal treatment
- Explore stunning landscapes – lakes, mountains, national parks, native forest, geothermal wonders
- Central North Island provides great access to the rest of the North Island
Our Client is a medium-sized District Health Board delivering specialist services to a population of 110,000 people across two hospital sites in Rotorua and Taupo. You will be based primarily in Rotorua with some service function from time to time in Taupo (1 hour drive).
You will provide general specialist mental health services, with a specific portfolio in specialist Addiction Psychiatry. Additional to this, leading a small opioid substitute therapy aid team. You will be based inside their adult community mental health services, with some oversight working alongside the inpatient consultant psychiatrist as required.
You will also work collaboratively with non-governmental organisations.
For this role, you will have broad experience and skills in Psychiatry and a sound understanding of contemporary models of care, combined with experience of working in a culturally diverse setting.
You will also have proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching, including providing supervision and education to medical students, registrars and other clinical staff; and of course, a commitment to ongoing quality improvement programmes.
What’s on offer?
- Total package ranges NZ$180,000 - $300,000 per annum, depending on experience
- This includes: Base salary from NZ$164,369 to $244,560 pa, depending on level of experience; On call calculated on top of your base; Continuing Medical Education Allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave pa
- Plus a 20% recruitment and retention bonus
- Plus relocation assistance
If you’re not familiar with this part of New Zealand, Rotorua and the Lakes region is visually stunning and an area of unique natural beauty and geothermal activity, offering a great outdoors lifestyle, perfect for taking advantage of the region’s hot summers and mild winters. Although it’s a small city (population 65,000), it’s vibrant and has a huge tourist and adventure sports industry that drives the local economy all year round.
If you enjoy the adrenalin buzz, hanging off rocks, jumping off bridges, rafting down fierce water, doing triathlons and ultramarathons, climbing mountains, ziplining through trees, riding mountain bikes through native forest, you will really love it here…
But there’s also lots to do if you enjoy a more leisurely pace of life with funky little cafés and bars, restaurants, the Lakes. You can simply enjoy living in a lovely location in a lovely climate.
It’s an area steeped in history and legend, a place where Tikanga Māori (Māori culture) is celebrated, making this a truly unique place to live.
There is a domestic airport with daily flights to Auckland’s international airport, making connections to/from Rotorua very easy and accessible (45 minutes).
Find out more about the Rotorua Lifestyle here
Ideally, you will hold FRANZCP and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
If you are an overseas specialist psychiatrist, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications from either Australia (FRANZCP), the UK (MRCPsych/ FRCPsych via CCT), Canada (FRCPSC) or USA (current American Board Certification) that will enable Provisional Vocational (long term) registration or Locum Tenens (short term) registration.
These are the two specialist pathways for medical registration in NZ for psychiatrists and we can assist with medical registration and facilitate the work visa, if successfully appointed.
** Primary Source Verification using EPIC **
A Doctor’s relevant qualifications must be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand.
If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we encourage doctors to start this process off as soon as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ. Candidates are invited to log on to EPIC and complete this step online. EPIC verifies your identity and your qualifications directly with you.
Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.
Photo Credit: Mokoia Island, Rotorua - Mark Smith, www.rotoruanz.com