New Year. New Job. New Lifestyle... New Zealand 2020
Come and live in one of the best lifestyle spots in NZ!
We’re seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist (Addictions) for the multidisciplinary specialist Addiction Service based in Tauranga, one of NZ's fastest growing cities.
The main focus of this role is to provide Opioid Substitution Treatment (OST) for patients across the district in accordance with the New Zealand OST guidelines.
- Enjoy the beach life before and after work everyday
- Permanent position, commencing 2020
- FRANZCP or equivalent qualification, e.g. FRCPsych/ MRCPsych with CCT
- Experience or interest in Addiction Medicine
- Ideally, experience working in the alcohol and other drug sector; preferably within Opioid Substitution Treatment and/or substance withdrawal treatment
- Well-established team with a vision for the future of their service
For this role, you will have broad specialist experience in Psychiatry with a sound understanding of contemporary models of care.
Experience working in specifically in Addiction Medicine will be advantageous. But it is not essential if you have an interest in expanding into this subspecialist area. The team has a wealth of collective experience and you will work with both psychiatrists and registrars; and have close liaison with local general practitioners and pharmacists.
In addition, you will have proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching, including providing supervision and education to medical students, registrars and other clinical staff; and of course, a commitment to contributing to ongoing quality improvement programmes.
You will also enjoy working in a multicultural workforce, and being based in a friendly coastal community.
What’s on offer?
- Total package ranges NZ$190,000 - $300,000 per annum, depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary from NZ$161,304 to $240,000 per annum, depending on level of experience; Continuing Medical Education Allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave pa.
- Plus relocation assistance
Tauranga is now the 5th largest city in New Zealand with an urban population of 130,000 (regionally 230,000) and is only a 2.5 hour drive south of Auckland. It has always been a premier destination, but with the strong NZ economy and a buoyant housing market, Tauranga is now the fastest growing city in New Zealand.
Tauranga, and in particular the suburb of Mount Maunganui, is well known for many things - the mountain (Mauao), the sunshine, the café and restaurant scene, the surfing, the white sandy beaches and natural salt water hotpools, the local markets with fresh produce, the safe and family-friendly lifestyle with excellent schools, and high-end real estate.
There is a domestic airport with regular daily flights to Auckland's International airport (just 35 minutes!), making connections to/from Tauranga very easy.
- Excellent schools with a tertiary campus that opened in 2019
- Live in a beachfront property, apartment, townhouse, or semi-rurally with some land
- Enjoy paddleboarding, surfing, fishing, kayaking, hiking, swimming, cycling, jetski-ing, kitesurfing, windsurfing, sailing, golfing... and more
- See diverse marine life – dolphins, whales and orca, and maybe the occasional penguin
Click on the link for more details about the local area, Tauranga & the Bay of Plenty
Medical Registration Requirements
Ideally, you will hold FRANZCP and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ-trained, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications from either UK (via FRCPsych/ MRCPsych and CCT), Australia (FRANZCP), Canada (FRCPSC), or the USA (American Board Certified) that will enable specialist registration with Medical Council of New Zealand via the Provisional Vocational registration (long term) pathway or Locum Tenens (short term, up to 12 months) registration pathway.
These are the two specialist pathways for Psychiatrists in NZ and we can assist with medical registration and the work visa, if successfully appointed.
*Please note: If appointed, in order to gain provisional vocational registration (long term specialist registration) your combination of qualifications, training and experience will be assessed by the Medical Council of NZ against the standard of the FRANZCP (please visit the link).
If interested in this role, but unsure if your experience is applicable, please get in touch with your CV and we can provide further guidance.
** Primary Source Verification using EPIC **
All relevant qualifications must now be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we encourage doctors to start this process off as soon as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ. Delays in verifications can impact on start dates, if not completed timeously. Candidates are invited to log on to EPIC and complete this step online. EPIC verifies your identity and your qualifications directly with you.
Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started