A beautiful spot on the West Coast of the North Island: Taranaki.
We’re seeking an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist (or Medical Officer) in Addiction Medicine to join the team at the Taranaki District Health Board Mental Health & Addiction Services in New Plymouth.
- Relaxed family living surrounded by a stunning landscape
- Permanent position ideally commencing March 2020, may also consider 12 months fixed term
- FRANZCP (FAChAM) or equivalent specialist qualifications, e.g. FRCPsych with CCT
- Experience and qualifications in Addiction Medicine essential
- Easy commute to and from work
- Easy access to beautiful beaches and seasonal premier ski fields
Taranaki District Health Board serves a population of 118,000 and this role is based in New Plymouth, the main city within the Taranaki Province.
You will be responsible for Opiate Substitution Treatment – specialist addiction services as well as the treatment of co-existing disorders in clients who present to the Alcohol and Drug service.
The TDHBMHAS provides a wide range of specialist services:
- Acute Services: 23 bed inpatient unit (4 beds in IPC), crisis team, home based treatment service, high and complex needs community supported rehabilitation service with 4 beds;
- Adult Mental health: 3 community teams, Tui Ora kaupapa Maori community mental health team and specialist services such as maternal, eating disorders, DBT, early intervention;
- Child and Adolescent mental health services;
- Mental health services for Older people;
- Alcohol and Drugs.
For this role, you will have broad specialist experience in Psychiatry and in particular Addiction Medicine, and a sound understanding of contemporary models of care.
In addition, you will also have proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching, including providing supervision and education to medical students, registrars and other clinical staff; and of course, a commitment to contributing to ongoing quality improvement programmes.
You will also enjoy working in a multicultural workforce, and being based in a friendly coastal community.
What’s on offer?
- Total package ranges NZ$190,000 - $300,000 per annum, depending on level of experience
- includes base salary from NZ$161,304 to $240,000 pa, depending on level of experience; On call calculated on top of your base; Continuing Medical Education Allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave pa.
- Plus relocation assistance
The Taranaki region is known for its stunning natural landscape, which lends itself to all manner of outdoor activities from the mountains to the sea, and has been the backdrop for numerous well-known blockbuster movies filmed here in NZ.
The temperate climate and high sunshine hours (3rd highest in NZ), combined with a welcoming and multicultural community, makes it a really dynamic and enjoyable place to live. Housing is affordable and the schooling is excellent.
Famous for its Surf Highway 45 - featuring some of the best surfing and windsurfing spots in New Zealand – as well as annual music (WOMAD) and art festivals, premier golfing and ski fields, triathlons and Half Ironman competitions, fantastic mountain biking trails and hiking trails, means that New Plymouth as a city caters to all lifestyles and all ages.
Equidistant from both Auckland and Wellington with a 4.5 hr drive (or a 50 minute flight), it’s a great setting right on the coast and particularly attractive to families who want to make Taranaki and New Plymouth their new home.
Come and live in the region that was named the world's second top region to visit in 2017 by Lonely Planet!
Find out more about the Taranaki lifestyle here
Medical Registration Requirements
Ideally, you will hold FRANZCP and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ-trained, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications from either UK (via FRCPsych/ MRCPsych and CCT), Australia (FRANZCP), Canada (FRCPSC), or the USA (American Board Certified) that will enable specialist registration with Medical Council of New Zealand via the Provisional Vocational registration (long term) pathway or Locum Tenens (short term, up to 12 months) registration pathway.
These are the two specialist pathways for Psychiatrists in NZ and we can assist with medical registration and the work visa, if successfully appointed.
If appointed, in order to gain provisional vocational registration (long term specialist registration) your combination of qualifications, training and experience will be assessed by the Medical Council of NZ against the standard of the FRANZCP (please visit the link).
If interested in this role, but unsure if your experience is applicable, please get in touch with your CV and we can provide further guidance.
**Primary Source Verification using EPIC **
From 1st November 2017, all relevant qualifications must now be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we recommend starting this process off as soon as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ. Candidates can log on to EPIC and complete this step online very easily. EPIC verifies your identity and your qualifications.
Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.