Permanent, commencing in 2018, or
Fixed Term appointment for 12 months (minimum)
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with generalist experience to join the Trauma and Orthopaedics team at Gisborne Hospital, located in the beautiful Tairawhiti region on the East Cape of the North Island.
Gisborne is the major city within Tairawhiti and where this role will be based. It’s not a large city (regionally 46,000 population, with approx. 30,000 living in the city itself), but it offers a fantastic lifestyle to people and families who love the outdoors and a relaxed living and pace of life.
- Full time, permanent position commencing ASAP
- 12 months fixed term may be considered for those who can commence quickly
- FRACS required or equivalent specialist qualification, e.g. FRCS (Tr & Orth) via CCT, leading to Locum Tenens registration
- Generalist experience is essential
- Relaxed coastal living and a welcoming community
- Competitive remuneration package
- Small team, consultant-led service
- Beautiful natural surroundings and marine life – white sandy beaches, native forest & birds, dolphins, whales
What’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000 - $300,000 pa, depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$158,141 - $230,000 pa (£82,700 - £120,000) depending on level of experience
- Annual $16,000 Continuing Medical Education allowance & 10 days CME leave to attend conferences
- Multidisciplinary team working
- Plus relocation assistance
Gisborne features a prevalent café culture and restaurants which serve locally sourced fresh produce, award winning wines and cheeses. Local schools are excellent and real estate is affordably priced – there is something ideal to suit your needs from apartments, townhouses, something more rural (lifestyle block) or close to Wainui Beach. Gisborne generally enjoys warm summers (up to mid-30s) and mild winters and is considered one of the sunniest places in New Zealand.
Locals enjoy easy access to a fantastic untouched natural environment, which lends itself to such outdoor pastimes as surfing, paddle boarding, fishing, sailing, swimming, mountain biking and hill walking etc. It’s also a popular holiday destination for other visiting Kiwis in the summertime, drawn to the hot summer weather, annual music festivals, vineyard tours and surfing competitions.
Over the years, a number of international doctors and their families have successfully made their home here, relocating from the UK, Scandinavia, Europe and the USA.
Find out more about Gisborne and the Tairawhiti region here.
Requirement for this role
Ideally you will hold FRACS and full Vocational registration with Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ trained or based, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications, such as FRCS (Tr & Orth), that will enable Provisional Vocational (long term) registration or Locum Tenens (short term up to 12 months) registration). These are the specialist pathways for medical registration in NZ and we can assist with the registration and work visa applications if you are successfully appointed.
Please visit the MCNZ website for details on the medical registration requirements, including primary source verification of your qualifications which was introduced by MCNZ 1st November 2017.