Fixed Term - 6 or 12 months, commencing ASAP (July 2018 at the earliest if an international orthopaedic surgeon).
In addition, there is also a permanent position available.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with generalist experience to join the Trauma and Orthopaedics team at Gisborne Hospital, located in the beautiful Tairawhiti region on the East Cape of the North Island.
Ideally they are looking to fill this on a permanent basis, however there is some added immediate urgency - as a fixed term role - due to a surgeon being unable to take up a position as planned. Generally speaking, once a job offer has been accepted, realistically it takes approx 3-4 months to complete the Locum Tenens registration and visa paperwork - and the service is looking for an ASAP start.
Therefore, the fixed term opportunity may suit an orthopaedic surgeon who is looking for a sabbatical for 6 or 12 months and can be released from their current post quickly, or a surgeon who routinely undertakes long term locums, or perhaps a surgeon who is due to retire and is looking for one last adventure overseas...!
Gisborne is the major city within Tairawhiti and where this role will be based. It’s not a large city (regionally 46,000 population, with approx. 30,000 living in the city itself), but it offers a fantastic lifestyle to people and families who love the outdoors and a relaxed living and pace of life.
- As noted, 6 or 12 months fixed term will be considered for those who can commence quickly
- Also seeking to appoint to a permanent position
- Generalist experience is essential
- FRACS required, or equivalent specialist qualification leading to Locum Tenens registration
- You will be comfortable working effectively and efficiently in a small team in a consultant-led service
- And you will have experience working in a multidisciplinary environment
In return, you will work in a lovely location, offering:
- Relaxed coastal living and a welcoming community
- A competitive remuneration package
- Experience working in a comparable health system
- Beautiful natural surroundings and marine life – white sandy beaches, native forest & birds, dolphins, whales
What’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000 - $300,000 pa, depending on level/years of experience*
- Includes base salary range NZ$158,141 - $230,000 pa (£82,700 - £120,000) depending on level/years of experience*
- Annual $16,000 Continuing Medical Education allowance & 10 days CME leave to attend conferences*
- Plus relocation assistance
- Tax is capped at 33% for personal earnings in NZ
- No National Insurance contributions deducted (if enquiring from the UK)
*Please note, that for 6 month appointments, remuneration and annual leave will be pro-rata, and there is no CME allowance or CME leave included.
Gisborne features a prevalent café culture and restaurants which serve locally sourced fresh produce, award winning wines and cheeses. Local schools are excellent and real estate is affordably priced – there is something ideal to suit your needs from apartments, townhouses, something more rural (lifestyle block) or close to Wainui Beach. Gisborne generally enjoys warm summers (up to mid-30s) and mild winters and is considered one of the sunniest places in New Zealand.
Locals enjoy easy access to a fantastic untouched natural environment, which lends itself to such outdoor pastimes as surfing, paddle boarding, fishing, sailing, swimming, mountain biking and hill walking etc. It’s also a popular holiday destination for other visiting Kiwis in the summertime, drawn to the hot summer weather, annual music festivals, vineyard tours and surfing competitions.
Over the years, a number of international doctors and their families have successfully made their home here, relocating from the UK, Scandinavia, Europe and the USA.
Find out more about Gisborne and the Tairawhiti region here.
Requirement for this role
Ideally you will hold FRACS and full Vocational registration with Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ trained or based, due to the fact that is a smaller team and there is some urgency to fill this vacancy, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications that will enable Locum Tenens (short term up to 12 months) registration, in the first instance.
Locum Tenens is the short term pathway for medical registration in NZ as a specialist surgeon. This pathway requires the following qualifications; Australia (FRACS); Canada (FRCSC); Ireland (FRCSI with CCST/ CCT, not CESR); UK (FRCS with CCST/CCT, not CESR); or US (Board Certification in Orthopaedic Surgery).
We can assist with the registration and work visa applications if you are successfully appointed.
Please visit the MCNZ website for details on the medical registration requirements, including primary source verification of your qualifications which was introduced by MCNZ 1st November 2017.