This is a fantastic opportunity for a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with generalist experience to join the Orthopaedics team at Rotorua Hospital in the beautiful Lakes region of New Zealand.
- Full time, permanent position commencing ASAP
- FRACS or equivalent specialist qualification, e.g FRCS(T&O)
- Generalist experience required
- Special interest may be accommodated (e.g. hand, upper limb)
- Busy clinical role, which also includes teaching registrars & SHOs
Rotorua Hospital has a newly developed campus with modern inpatient and outpatient facilities as well as 5 new theatres, an endoscopy suite, minor procedure room with a co-located day stay unit. The 25-bed Orthopaedic Unit cares for predominantly orthopaedic elective and acute patients, but also manages acute and elective gynaecology and general surgery patients.
What’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000 - $320,000 pa (approx. £93,000 - £166,000 pa), depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$158,141 - $230,000 pa
- Includes NZ$16,000 CME Allowance pa + 10 days leave pa to attend conferences
- Relocation assistance available
And the lifestyle and location are ideal:
- NZ’s coolest hotspot – a lovely drive just 2hrs 46mins from Auckland
- Wide range of city amenities: restaurants and cafes, arts and culture, major sporting events
- Affordable housing market and excellent schooling options
- Easy access to the rest of the North Island, beautiful lakes, national parks, mountains and premier ski-fields
If you’re not familiar with this part of New Zealand, Rotorua and the lakes region is visually stunning and an area of unique natural beauty and geothermal activity, offering a great outdoors lifestyle, perfect for taking advantage of the region’s hot summers and mild winters.
There are 13 different lakes in the immediate area and easy road access to the rest of the North Island and Auckland, so day trips to the beaches in the East and to the seasonal ski slopes in the West are only an hour away by car. Although this location is a small city (population 59,000), it’s vibrant and has a huge tourist and adventure sports industry that drives the local economy and welcomes tourists from all over the world, all year round.
Families of all ages can enjoy so many activities, regardless of skill level - just have a go!
It’s a mountain bike haven, with amazing trails and events, but you can also enjoy whitewater rafting, paddle boarding, ziplining, parasailing, sailing, kayaking, hillwalking, hiking, golfing and leisure parks. There are 14 fishable lakes with some excellent river fishing to be had (rainbow and brown trout). Major sporting events take place here every year, especially triathlons and other multisport events, which draws crowds from all over NZ and internationally. But there’s lots to do if you also enjoy a more leisurely pace of life, with funky little cafes and a wide array of restaurants, you can simply enjoy the great outdoors and natural surroundings in a lovely climate.
It’s also an area steeped in history and legend, a place where Maori culture is celebrated – making this a truly unique place to live.
There is a domestic airport with daily flights to Auckland International Airport, making connections to/from Rotorua really easy.
Find out more about the Rotorua Lifestyle here
Given the permanent nature of this role, you should be eligible for provisional vocational registration with Medical Council of New Zealand (or already hold vocational registration with MCNZ). This is the specialist pathway for registration and we can assist with paperwork if you are successfully appointed. You can check the MCNZ website here to self-assess your eligibility for this pathway.
Alternatively, eligibility for Locum Tenens registration with Medical Council of New Zealand will also be viewed favourably. Locum Tenens is a short term specialist registration, valid for up to 12 months only, which takes only 30 days to process once submitted.
Contact Caroline O'Hagan with a copy of your CV. For applications, a summary of your logbook will also be helpful.