Experienced Consultant Ophthalmologist required for a 130-bed district general hospital in Wanganui, on the West Coast of the North Island.
This is a permanent appointment, however a fixed term position (12-24 months minimum) will also be considered.
Although the hospital is moving towards developing a regional service aligned with its geographical neighbouring District Health Board (45 minute drive away), as an Ophthalmologist with a broad range of skills, you will be considered an ‘all-rounder’ and will feel comfortable working as a sole practitioner. The 1:3 on call is shared with Ophthalmologists from the neighbouring District Health Board.
The bulk of Ophthalmic surgery is cataract surgery and the department aims to have a waiting list that seldom exceeds six weeks. This is a varied role, however, and other procedures regularly performed include: ocuplastic surgery, enucleations, glaucomatous and lacrimal drainage procedures, as well as removal of lesions from the globe such as tumours or pterygia, traumatic ruptures of the globe or corneas which are usually emergency procedures, and squint surgery.
Wanganui (population: urban 42,000, regional 64,000) has a genuine, easygoing vibe. It has all the facilities that you would expect of a small city, yet is still compact and easy to navigate. If you prefer to live a semi-rural relaxed lifestyle, it’s a great place for families with a real sense of community and hospitality with Farmers Markets, little cafes and restaurants, as well as plenty of sporting activities if you want to get involved.
You’re also within easy driving distance of premier ski resorts at Turoa and Whakapapa to the north west, the lush Hawke’s Bay wine region to the east, clean and quiet unspoilt beaches (Surf Highway 45, Himatangi, Foxton, Otaki) up and down the West Coast, and of course, to the South is NZ’s capital city of Wellington (2.5 hour drive).
Living here is very affordable, with quality housing and a reputation for its excellent primary and secondary education facilities, there is a lot to offer families of all ages. And the commute to work is circa 5-10 minutes from anywhere in the city – it’s a nice way of life if you prefer not to be in a big city.
There are daily flights from Wanganui to Auckland, making international flight connections easy.
Find out more about Whanganui here
- Experience a comparable health system where your qualifications are recognised
- Competitive remuneration packages (circa NZD$180k to NZD$280k, depending on experience)
- Generous relocation assistance
- Continuing Medical Education (CME) allowance + 10 days CME leave
- Multidisciplinary team working and opportunities to be involved in teaching
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and it was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
Consultants are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand.
There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We are Licenced New Zealand Immigration Advisors and provide support & advice
We have assisted many Doctors in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
We also offer a referral reward if you refer a Friend and we place them! Click here for details…