Consultant Ophthalmologist (General) - Australia
The Central Arrernte people are the traditional owners of the land here. In representing Alice Springs and this region, we pay respect to the traditional custodians, ancestors and continuing cultural, spiritual and religious practices of the Arrernte
The location of this job is in Alice Springs in Australia's amazing Northern Territory - a landscape and environment offering adventure, and unique professional opportunities.
- Your total first year remuneration will be up to (depending on level of experience) AU450,000 plus additional benefits.
Alice Springs is a major regional centre. The hospital has 190 beds servicing an area of approx. 1,000,000 km2. It has strong associations with Flinders and Sydney University. The hospital has a brand new ICU, Emergency Department, AU14m teaching auditorium, medical library and a AU45m renal research centre. The population served is 50,000 of whom 38% are Indigenous Australians.
The town is dynamic and progressive - a friendly and relaxed community. Alice Springs is a major Australian tourist destination for visitors. This mean transport links and town facilities are excellent with daily flights to major metropolitan cities. The natural environment in the area is simply spectacular and if you love the outdoors it is a playground like no other. Gorges, canyons, waterfalls – perfect for exploring, canyoning, trekking,mountain biking etc.
The rewards are exceptional:
- Unique professional opportunity.
- Chance to make a difference to a disadvantaged population group.
- Lucrative remuneration package up to GBP200,000/AU450,000 + additional benefits.
- Established, well-resourced teaching hospital with full services.
- Develop an interest in indigenous health and indigenous culture.
- Very social hospital setting.
- Alice Springs has no shortage of amenities. They include: Olympic sized pool, cinemas, restaurants, cafes, bars, art galleries etc.
- Outstanding landscape.
Responsibilities will include:
- You will provide first class general ophthalmology services to Alice Springs Hospital, Alice Springs Barkly region as well as more remote areas.
- Your scope will include working with resident and VMO eye specialists to ensure schedules, workplans and on-call responsibilities are shared.
- You will supervise junior medical staff and students - promoting a culture of collaboration and learning - all the while, leading from example.
- You will undertake research projects.
- You will participate in quality management projects, peer review and RANZCO's CME/CPD.
You will have completed your specialist training and have had a minimum of 3 years service as a Consultant Ophthalmologist within a general context. Experience within disadvantaged population groups and an adaptable nature will be highly regarded. Naturally, an empathy for different cultures and people is also key. There will be some limited cross country travel to remote areas either by 4W4 or light plane.
For more information please get in contact now with Alasdair Spinner +44 131 240 5276 or email@example.com
Head Medical have a Medical and College registration team that will help and guide you through this process once you have accepted a job offer.