We are looking for an experienced Consultant Neurologist to be based in a 600-bed tertiary, teaching hospital in Hamilton, a bustling university city just 90 minutes drive south of Auckland.
The Department of Neurology provides both secondary and tertiary level inpatient, day-patient, outpatient and neurophysiology services to both local and regional populations with close links to the regional Neurosurgery Unit based at Waikato Hospital.
- Full-time permanent position
- Fellowship training in EMG/NCS or equivalent
- Clinical expertise in Botox treatment advantageous
- Work in one of the largest hospitals in New Zealand
What’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000 - $300,000 pa (approx. £97,000 - £162,000 pa), depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$155,040 - $219,000 pa
- Includes NZ$16,000 CME Allowance pa + 10 days leave pa to attend conferences
- Relocation assistance available
And the lifestyle and location are ideal:
- 4th largest city in New Zealand, just 90 minutes from Auckland
- Wide range of city amenities: restaurants and cafes, arts and culture, major sporting events
- Affordable housing market and excellent schooling options
- Easy access to the rest of the North Island, beautiful beaches, national parks, lakes and mountains
As one of New Zealand’s fastest growing areas, key to this growth is its central location and easy access to other parts of the country. Auckland City is only a 90 minute drive away and both the west coast and east coast beaches are within easy reach, including Mount Maunganui (voted New Zealand’s best beach in 2017), the stunning Coromandel Peninsula, and Raglan Beach, with its rugged coastline and some of the best surf breaks NZ has to offer.
As a university city, there is a diverse mix of arts and culture, as well as an array of sporting activities. The population (Hamilton city 200,000, Waikato region 390,000) is diverse, with many cultures represented and celebrated here. Events and festivals throughout the year include Diwali, Matariki (Maori New Year), Garden shows, regular Farmers Markets, Theatre shows and music festivals, major sporting events and tournaments.
There is an array of restaurants and cafes featuring locally sourced products, a vibrant nightlife, vineyards, and wide open spaces for you to enjoy the great outdoors. Housing is affordable whether you like the idea of an urban apartment, a townhouse with a garden, or a sprawling lifestyle block just outside of the city. There is also a wide variety of schooling options to suit your family needs.
You can find out more about the lifestyle and Hamilton City and the Waikato region here
Given the permanent nature of this role, you should be eligible for provisional vocational registration with Medical Council of New Zealand (or already hold vocational registration with MCNZ). This is the specialist pathway for registration and we can assist with paperwork if you are successfully appointed. You can check the MCNZ website here to self-assess your eligibility for this pathway.
Contact Caroline O’Hagan for more details or to have a confidential chat.
Please note, Caroline is now based in Wellington, New Zealand.