A rare and exciting opportunity has arisen for a Consultant Nephrologist/ General Physician to join Tauranga Hospital in the stunning Bay of Plenty region.
This is a key appointment for the region and part of a wider strategic plan to grow the renal service over the next five years.
Why not combine a fresh, professional challenge with the beach lifestyle in Tauranga - NZ's 5th largest city situated just 2.5hrs south of Auckland?
- Permanent position commencing 2019
- FRACP or equivalent specialist qualifications in Nephrology
- Be actively involved in developing the service
- Acute Medicine/Nephrology split is approx 50/50
- Potential for clinical research opportunities
- Dynamic, innovative & friendly team that values work/life balance
- Be based in a city that caters well to families
The Acute Medicine/Nephrology split is approx 50/50 with the acute medicine element involving participation in the general medical take and on call roster (1 in 9).
For this role, you will have broad specialist experience in nephrology. In addition, you will have a sound understanding of contemporary models of care and will be an innovative thinker with ideas to contribute to the further development of the service.
You will also have proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching, including providing supervision and education to medical students, registrars and other clinical staff; and of course, a commitment in contributing to ongoing quality improvement programmes.
What’s on offer? (per annum)
- Total package circa NZ$190,000 - $300,000 pa, depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$161,304 - $240,000 pa (£83,000 - £125,000)
- Plus on call on top of your base
- Continuing Medical Education allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave per annum
- Relocation assistance
Tauranga is now the 5th largest city in New Zealand with an urban population of 130,000 (regionally 230,000) and is only a 2.5 hour drive south of Auckland. It has always been a premier destination, but with the strong NZ economy and a buoyant housing market, Tauranga is now the fastest growing city in New Zealand.
Tauranga, and in particular the suburb of Mount Maunganui, is well known for many things - the mountain (Mauao), the sunshine, the café and restaurant scene, the surfing, the white sandy beaches and natural salt water hotpools, the local markets with fresh produce, the safe and family-friendly lifestyle with excellent schools, and high-end real estate.
There is a domestic airport with regular daily flights to Auckland's International airport (just 35 minutes!), making connections to/from Tauranga very easy.
- Excellent schools with a tertiary campus that opened in 2019
- Live in a beachfront property, apartment, townhouse, or semi-rurally with some land
- Enjoy the beach life – paddleboard, surf, fish, kayak, swim and coastal walks
- See diverse marine life – dolphins, whales and orca
Don’t just take our word for it, visit these links for more information:
Tauranga & the Bay of Plenty and Wish You Were Working Here
Medical Registration Requirement
Ideally, you will hold FRACP and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, if not NZ trained or based, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications from either the UK (via CCT), Ireland (via CCT), Australia, Canada or USA that will enable Provisional Vocational (long term) registration or Locum Tenens (short term up to 12 months) registration. These are the specialist pathways for medical registration in NZ for Physicians.
Primary Source Verification of Qualifications via EPIC
From 1st November 2017, all relevant medical qualifications must now be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we recommend starting this process off as early as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ.
Doctors are required to complete this step online, as EPIC verifies an individual’s identity and medical qualifications.
Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.