We are seeking a Consultant Internal Medicine Physician to be based in Dunedin, on the South Island of New Zealand
- Fixed term position of 12-24 months, full time but part time will be considered as well
- 350-bed tertiary level teaching hospital
- Vibrant university city offering cafes, pubs, restaurants, live music, nightlife and shopping
- Home to the Dunedin School of Medicine, part of The University of Otago
Dunedin Hospital is a 350 bed tertiary hospital with close links to the University of Otago, one of New Zealand's leading research Institutes. The Internal Medicine Physicians contribute to the professional development and supervision of the supporting team of Registrars, House Officers and students at Dunedin Hospital. Teaching sessions are a regular feature of the department and include formal lectures, weekly journal club, medical forums, grand rounds and audit meetings. The Physicians pride themselves on providing excellent Registrar exam preparation courses and enjoy a nearly 100% success rate.
The successful candidate will have a broad Internal Medicine background and will be expected to participate in a 1 in 8 on call roster. You will be joining a dedicated team of nine senior staff who primarily provide acute inpatient care for patients. Outpatient Clinics held in the satellite hospitals in the Otago region may also be part of the successful applicant's duties.
Dunedin is the second largest city in the South Island and is one of four main urban centres of New Zealand. Known for its heritage and hospitality, Dunedin is an educated, enterprising, liberal, expressive and intriguing city with a real community spirit that embraces new ideas, new people, new enterprises and the more unique the better. With a proven record of educational and entrepreneurial excellence, it’s a city that fosters innovation and creativity, that revels in its underground arts, music and culture scene and flaunts its dramatic scenery.
There is plenty to enjoy in this city, from an excellent restaurant and café culture, a brilliant shopping and fashion industry, a vibrant arts and entertainment scene, a brand new and extremely impressive stadium which was purpose built for the Rugby World Cup, surf beaches and more. Add to this the spectacular scenery and diversity of leisure time opportunities available in the region, including mountain biking, hiking, wine country and lakes, plus the close proximity to Queenstown and Wanaka for skiing and adventure pursuits and you’ll realise why the region’s population is growing as more and more people choose to make it their home. Dunedin is a safe environment and a treasure trove of family fun! Follow the link to find out more about living in Dunedin.
Consultants are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand.
There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We have assisted many Doctors in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page