An exciting new role has arisen at Tauranga Hospital for an experienced Consultant in Intensive Care Medicine (Intensivist). This role also has a commitment to providing collegial support to Whakatane Hospital (110 beds, 1 hr drive away).
The ideal candidate will help lead the team to attain teaching and training accreditation with the Australian and New Zealand College of Intensive Care Medicine.
Why not combine a fresh, professional challenge with the beach lifestyle in Tauranga - NZ's 5th largest city situated just 2.5hrs south of Auckland?
- Permanent position commencing 2019
- FCICM or equivalent specialist qualifications in Intensive Care Medicine
- Strong focus on medical education and innovative working
- Be based in a city that caters well to families, with great schools
- Beautiful natural surroundings – white sandy beaches, native forest & birds, dolphins & whales
You will possess proven leadership skills and have experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment, as well as an interest in medical education and teaching. You will also be someone with a passion for quality improvement initiatives, who wants to relocate to the beautiful Bay of Plenty and is comfortable providing care for all age groups, particularly after hours.
What’s on offer? (per annum)
- Total package circa NZ$190,000 - $300,000 pa, depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$161,304 - $240,000 pa (£83,000 - £125,000)
- Plus on call on top of your base
- Continuing Medical Education allowance NZ$16,000 + 10 days CME leave per annum
- Relocation assistance
Tauranga is now the 5th largest city in New Zealand with an urban population of 130,000 (regionally 230,000) and is only a 2.5 hour drive south of Auckland. It has always been a premier destination, but with the strong NZ economy and a buoyant housing market, Tauranga is now the fastest growing city in New Zealand.
Tauranga, and in particular the suburb of Mount Maunganui, is well known for many things - the mountain (Mauao), the sunshine, the café and restaurant scene, the surfing, the white sandy beaches and natural salt water hotpools, the local markets with fresh produce, the safe and family-friendly lifestyle with excellent schools, and high-end real estate.
There is a domestic airport with regular daily flights to Auckland's International airport (just 35 minutes!), making connections to/from Tauranga very easy.
- Excellent schools with a tertiary campus due to open in 2019
- Live in a beachfront property, apartment, townhouse, or semi-rurally with some land
- Enjoy the beach life – paddleboard, surf, fish, kayak, swim and walks
- See diverse marine life – dolphins, whales and orca
Don’t just take our word for it, visit these links for more information:
Tauranga & the Bay of Plenty and Wish You Were Working Here
Medical Registration Requirement
Ideally, you will hold FCICM and full Vocational registration with the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
If not NZ trained or based, you will hold equivalent specialist qualifications in intensive care medicine. If appointed, in order to gain provisional vocational registration your combination of qualifications, training and experience will then be assessed by the Medical Council of NZ against the standard of the FCICM.
Primary Source Verification of Qualifications via EPIC
From 1st November 2017, all relevant medical qualifications must now be verified by ECFMG using the EPIC system on behalf of the Medical Council of New Zealand. If you are committed to working in New Zealand, we recommend starting this process off as early as possible if you hold qualifications from outside NZ.
Doctors are required to complete this step online, as EPIC verifies an individual’s identity and medical qualifications.
Log on to EPIC here and read the FAQs section about how to get started.