We are seeking an experienced Geriatrician to work with dedicated teams of medical, nursing and allied health staff primarily caring for older people with complex health and rehabilitation needs in New Plymouth, New Zealand.
Hospital and role
The OPHRS service is co-managed with Mental Health Services Older People. The MHSOP service provides advice, assessment, treatment, care and support via a range of professions and assists people in Taranaki who are over the age of 65 and experience significant mental health problems.
As a senior medical officer you will be expected to:
- Provide consultant services to patients requiring specialist care
- Interact daily with other departments
- Mentor junior medical staff attached to the service
- Have ability to work in the specialist inpatient, outpatient, intermediate care, and community settings
- Cover for colleagues in their absence
There are no after hours duties attached to this role!
You will be known by your peers as someone who:
- Works well in multidisciplinary teams to provide patient centred care
- Strives to improve the way services are developed and delivered
- Has excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with a wide variety of people from various backgrounds
- Engages with other providers, consumers, and health organisations to improve the quality and responsiveness of services
- Focuses on achieving results and developing and maintaining good working relationships in the workplace
The Taranaki region (colloquially known as “The Naki” by the locals) has a population of 106,000 and is known for its stunning natural landscape, which lends itself to all manner of outdoor activities from the mountains to the sea, such as surfing, windsurfing, ski-ing, mountain biking, fishing, golfing, hiking, sailing, cycling, ironman and triathlons, and has been the backdrop for numerous well-known blockbuster movies.
The temperate climate and high sunshine hours (3rd highest in NZ), combined with a welcoming and multicultural community, makes it a really dynamic and enjoyable place to live, where the housing is affordable and the schooling is excellent. Famous for its Surf Highway 45 - featuring some of the best surfing and windsurfing spots in New Zealand – the annual music and art festivals, gourmet restaurants, an established café culture, premier golfing and ski fields, means that New Plymouth as a city caters to all lifestyles and all ages.