We are seeking a Consultant General Surgeon to become part of an enthusiastic, hardworking team of health workers providing a modern and innovative approach to healthcare at the District Health Board.
You will be one of four General Surgeons, including one part time surgeon focused on colonoscopies, in a unit which provides a comprehensive service for the population of the Wairarapa. There may also be opportunities for private practice.
- Permanent, full time position
- Opportunities for professional development
- On call requirement of 1 in 3
- Upper and lower GI endoscopy is a required skill.
- An interest in Skin Cancer surgery would be an advantage.
Wairarapa Hospital is based in Masterton, and is within two hours from both Hutt Hospital and Wellington Hospital. There is good connectivity between Wairarapa and the Wellington region with rail and ferry transport as well as the airport.
Wairarapa District Health Board provides secondary services for a population of approximately 40,000, providing 24-hour acute and elective care in general and orthopaedic surgery, medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, ophthalmology, psychiatry, and paediatrics. The hospital operates both Public & Private theatre sessions covering General Surgery, Anaesthetics, Orthopaedics, Urology, Endoscopy, Gynaecology, and Obstetrics, as well as Ophthalmic and ENT.
With real charm and exceptional natural beauty, Wairarapa promises a diverse experience for those who appreciate great wine, gourmet food, astonishing wildlife and the great outdoors. It’s a perfect destination, offering a relaxing lifestyle amongst some incredible country and coastal scenery yet only an hour and half's drive from New Zealand’s capital city, Wellington.
The region boasts great lifestyle opportunities, sound educational facilities, and excellent outdoor recreation and events. Contained within the region are world-renowned vineyards, spectacular mountain and forest attractions, wild and remote coastal areas as well as beautiful unspoiled beaches, and burgeoning local industries. Over summer, there is a series of cultural and sporting events which bring tourists and participants from all over New Zealand and beyond. The Genesis Recreation Centre in the region contains indoor and outdoor pools, a hydro slide and an indoor stadium.
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and it was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
Consultant are well-remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance in New Zealand.
There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We are Licenced New Zealand Immigration Advisors and provide support & advice
We have assisted many Consultants in making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
Read our Guide to Living and Working in New Zealand to learn more about the lifestyle
Learn more about the English Language requirements and if they are applicable to you
Check your eligibility for Medical Registration with Medical Council of New Zealand or ask us for advice