We are seeking a Consultant General Surgeon to be based in New Zealand’s capital city of Wellington. This is a great opportunity to experience a clinical role in a state of the art tertiary hospital renowned for its teaching and research opportunities, as well as the chance to enjoy the Kiwi lifestyle in a vibrant and cosmopolitan city.
- Position commencing ASAP
- Due to the short term nature of the role and the requirement to work as a specialist, this position requires you to be eligible to register via Locum Tenens with Medical Council of New Zealand, meaning you should hold FRACS (or equivalent, e.g. FRCS with CCT).
- Vibrant and cosmopolitan capital city of New Zealand
- Diverse lifestyle options for all the family - restaurants, cafes, beaches, Te Papa Museum, NZ movie hub
This employer makes the well being of their staff a priority, so the successful applicant will enjoy a diverse workload, as well as still being able to enjoy the benefits of living in the vibrant capital city.
As a General Surgeon, you will provide a high standard of clinical practice to patients under your care. The primary focus of this post is to backfill the elective commitments of the 11 on-duty surgeons. You will also participate in the 1:12 on duty week (07.30 -18.00 Mon-Fri). The General Surgery department provides services to both acute and elective General Surgical patients. There will be an opportunity to participate in quality improvement activities including research and audit of current clinical practice. In addition, you will also be involved with the supervision and instruction of Junior Doctors and Registrars.
Consultants in New Zealand are well remunerated and enjoy good working conditions and an excellent work life balance. Competitive salaries, favourable working conditions, six weeks annual leave plus generous Continuing Medical Education provisions are standard. Assistance with relocation, accommodation and transport are provided.
As New Zealand’s capital, this fabulous city (population 350,000) is the political and cultural centre of the country, offering the luxury of living in a small city with big city advantages, with a magnificent harbour framed by hills. The relatively young and affluent population is reflected in the excellent range of schools, the extraordinary range of cultural events and more cafes and restaurants per head of population than New York. Housing is affordable and of a high quality with a range of lifestyle options whether you want to live in a city apartment, beach house or country property. Nearly every inhabitant lives within 3km of the coast. Beyond the city and its beautiful harbour you have wild and rugged coastline, mountains, ski fields, wineries and historical towns all within easy reach making this a perfect lifestyle destination.
The international airport makes connections to the other parts of the world and elsewhere within New Zealand very easy. Housing is affordable and of a high quality with a range of lifestyle options whether you want to live in a city apartment, beach house or country property. Nearly every inhabitant lives within 3km of the coast. Beyond the city and its beautiful harbour you have wild and rugged coastline, mountains, ski fields, wineries and historical towns all within easy reach making this a perfect lifestyle destination. For further information about things to see and do in Wellington click here.
New Zealand is becoming more and more a location of choice for those who previously considered Australia as the most desirable location down under. Its rapid growth compared to other developed countries has recently been referred to as a “rock star economy” and
It was voted the best place in world to raise a family by the 2014 HSBC Expat Explorer Survey, with the report describing it as “an ideal destination to raise active, outdoorsy and healthy children.”
There’s never been a better time to look more closely at what NZ has to offer:
- No geographical restrictions – opportunities in major cities, towns, coastal, and rural locations
- Great transport links, most locations fly to International Airports making flight connections to/from NZ easy
- Excellent educational system, with private and public schools as well as a number of tertiary institutions
- Strong real estate market and affordable housing to suit your style – apartment, townhouse, or lifestyle block
- Incredible scenery and diverse wildlife – explore the great outdoors from beaches to mountains, see dolphins, whales and native birds
- Living well and feeling healthy is embraced as a lifestyle for all the family
We are Licenced New Zealand Immigration Advisors and provide support & advice
We have assisted many Consultants making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
We also offer a referral reward Click here for details
Read our Guide to Living and Working in New Zealand to learn more about the lifestyle
Learn more about the English Language requirements and if they are applicable to you
Check your eligibility for Medical Registration with Medical Council of New Zealand or ask us for advice