Closing Date: 12th May
We are looking for an experienced Consultant in General Medicine to join the Internal Medicine cluster in a 600-bed tertiary, teaching hospital in Hamilton, a bustling university city 90 minutes drive south of Auckland.
- Full-time permanent position
- On call commitment is 1 in 4 weekends for a minimum of 26 weeks on General Medicine
- Special interest in Infectious Disease, Geriatrics or Renal Medicine desirable
- Work in a comparable health system and be involved in teaching and service development
- Be based in a modern 600-bed tertiary, teaching hospital
what’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000 - $280,000 pa (approx. £96,000 - £149,000 pa), depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$152,000 - $216,500 pa
- Includes NZ$16,000 CME Allowance pa + 10 days leave pa to attend conferences
- Relocation assistance available
And the lifestyle and location are ideal:
- 4th largest city in New Zealand, just 90 minutes from Auckland
- Wide range of city amenities: restaurants and cafes, arts and culture, major sporting events
- Affordable housing market and excellent schooling options
- Easy access to the rest of the North Island, beautiful beaches, national parks, lakes and mountains
You will provide General Medicine inpatient and outpatient services (including outreach) to patients in the Health Waikato / Midland area. This includes diagnostic and treatment services for patients referred for consultation or admitted acute. You will work in a collegial and supportive environment, with 16 other Consultants, in a service committed to patient care, training and teamwork.
There is an active post-graduate training programme so you will have the opportunity to be involved in teaching, as well.
Waikato Hospital is a tertiary, teaching hospital that provides all hospital services (with the exception of organ transplants), plus clinical diagnostic and support services including radiology, laboratory and pharmacy.
It features 600 inpatient beds, 22 operating theatres and a dedicated outpatient clinic and procedure centre. It provides tertiary services for the Midland region comprising district health boards of Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Lakes, Tairawhiti and Taranaki (tertiary region population 700,000).
All diagnostic and treatment facilities are on one large campus in Hamilton which is central location within the tertiary region, with road and air ambulance support. It is also a teaching hospital with links to Auckland University. Opportunities to be involved in research are also available.
As one of New Zealand’s fastest growing areas, key to this growth is its central location and easy access to other parts of the country. Auckland City is only a 90 minute drive away and both the west coast and east coast beaches are within easy reach, including Mount Maunganui (voted New Zealand’s best beach in 2017), the stunning Coromandel Peninsula, and Raglan Beach, with its rugged coastline and some of the best surf breaks NZ has to offer.
As a university city, there is a diverse mix of arts and culture, as well as an array of sporting activities. The population (Hamilton city 200,000) is diverse, with many cultures represented and celebrated here. Events and festivals throughout the year include Diwali, Matariki (Maori New Year), Garden shows, regular Farmers Markets, Theatre shows and music festivals, major sporting events and tournaments.
There is an array of restaurants and cafes featuring locally sourced products, a vibrant nightlife, vineyards, and wide open spaces for you to enjoy the great outdoors. Housing is affordable whether you like the idea of an urban apartment, a townhouse with a garden, or a sprawling lifestyle block just outside of the city. There is also a wide variety of schooling options to suit your family needs.
You can find out more about the lifestyle and Hamilton City and the Waikato region here
Given the permanent nature of this role, you should be eligible for provisional vocational registration with Medical Council of New Zealand (or already hold vocational registration with MCNZ). This is the specialist pathway for registration and we can assist with paperwork if you are successfully appointed. You can check the MCNZ website here to self-assess your eligibility for this pathway.
Contact Caroline for more details or to have a confidential discussion.