We are seeking a Consultant Emergency Medicine on a permanent basis for a progressive secondary referral centre and teaching hospital in New Plymouth, on the west coast of the North Island.
- Professionally rewarding role, permanent position, flexible starting date
- Modern, spacious Hospital with progressive and innovative leadership
- Spectacular natural landscapes with clean air, from the mountain to the sea, perfect for the outdoors lifestyle
- Short commute to and from work – 10 minutes max!
- Welcoming and friendly city with an international community, enjoying strong economic growth - a place to really put down roots
The Hospital and Team
The team has 8 FACEMS with fellowship pending for several others, and more than 20 emergency medicine trained specialists working between the two sites. The roster involves approximately 18 to 20 shifts over a six week period. There is provision for ample paid CME and vacation leave to take when you want to take time for fun or learning.
The Emergency Departments at Taranaki Base Hospital and Hawera Hospital:
- Provide a 24/7 service
- Have approximately 33,000 and 16,000 patient visits per year respectively
- Are upported locally by all medical and surgical specialties except Neurosurgery and Cardiothoracic surgery
- Have mid-level providers, junior doctors and medical students working or rotating through them.
Taranaki Base Hospital is accredited by the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine to deliver 6 months Registrar training, and applying to extend this to 12 months in 2018. The training programme has been successful with trainees recently passing their fellowship exam. All Consultants are encouraged to participate in education and assessment of junior medical staff and students in the department.
In Taranaki you would:
- Provide emergent care for the entire district
- See a full range of patient presentations
- Work closely with other specialists to achieve the best care possible for your patients, and build more than surface level relationships with colleagues
- Be enjoying the enthusiasm and refining your training talents when helping develop junior staff and students in the departments.
TDHB, with approximately 1,800 staff and an annual budget of $325m, has the resources required for you to provide quality health care to your patients and is still small enough for you to have meaningful input into how that care is provided.
The Taranaki region (colloquially known as “The Naki” by the locals) has a population of 106,000 and is known for its stunning natural landscape, which lends itself to all manner of outdoor activities from the mountains to the sea, such as surfing, windsurfing, ski-ing, mountain biking, fishing, golfing, hiking, sailing, cycling, ironman and triathlons, and has been the backdrop for numerous well-known blockbuster movies.
The temperate climate and high sunshine hours (3rd highest in NZ), combined with a welcoming and multicultural community, makes it a really dynamic and enjoyable place to live, where the housing is affordable and the schooling is excellent. Famous for its Surf Highway 45 - featuring some of the best surfing and windsurfing spots in New Zealand – the annual music and art festivals, gourmet restaurants, an established café culture, premier golfing and ski fields, means that New Plymouth as a city caters to all lifestyles and all ages.
We have assisted many Consultants making the move to New Zealand and we’d be delighted to discuss the options with you in strictest confidence. You can read what people have said about working with us on our testimonials page
For more information or a confidential chat, please get in touch with email@example.com