Are you a Locum available ASAP?
Work for 12 months at TripAdvisor New Zealand’s 2018 Best Beach!
We're seeking a Consultant Anaesthetist/ Intensivist on a fixed term contract basis for 12 months, for a 359 bed Level 2 District General Hospital in Tauranga, in the stunning Bay of Plenty.
- Relaxed beach lifestyle in one of the best locations in NZ
- FANZCA or equivalent specialist qualification, e.g. FRCA
- FCICM or equivalent also desirable
- Experience in both Anaesthesia and Intensive Care required
- Start ASAP!
You will have broad experience and skills across Anaesthetics and Intensive Care Medicine (dual qualified) along with a sound understanding of contemporary models of care; proven leadership skills and experience working in a multidisciplinary team environment; an interest in medical education and teaching; and a commitment and willingness to be involved in continuous quality improvement programmes.
What’s on offer?
- Total package circa NZ$180,000 - $300,000 pa, depending on level of experience
- Includes base salary range NZ$158,141 - $230,000 pa (£82,700 - £120,000) depending on level of experience
- Annual NZ$16,000 Continuing Medical Education allowance & 10 days CME leave to attend conferences
- Dedicated non-clinical time and multidisciplinary team working
- Plus relocation assistance
Tauranga Hospital (359-bed) provides health services to the people of the Western Bay of Plenty. A secondary hospital, it provides level 4-5 services including medical, surgical, paediatrics, obstetrics, gynaecology and mental health.
There is a further 110-bed District General Hospital site in Whakatane (1 hour drive away) in the Eastern Bay of Plenty. There may be a requirement to also work here from time to time as part of the district-wide Anaesthetic and Intensive Care service.
Tauranga is now the 5th largest city in New Zealand with an urban population of 170,000 (regionally 230,000) and is only a short drive south of Auckland.
It has always been a premier destination, but with a strong NZ economy and a very buoyant housing market with many beach frontage properties and luxury apartments, Tauranga is now the fastest growing city in New Zealand.
Tauranga - and in particular the suburb of Mount Maunganui - is well known across NZ for many things; the relaxed lifestyle, the sunshine, the café scene, the surfing, the white sandy beaches and natural salt water hotpools, and the safe and family-friendly lifestyle with excellent schools. It attracts families of all ages into the area and is a holiday favourite for visitors.
In 2018, Mount Maunganui was voted Beast Beach on Trip Advisor New Zealand. Also in the Top 10 Beaches, was Papamoa and Ohope, all in the same region.
In the summertime, the population swells and holidaymakers and international travellers come to Tauranga and Mount Maunganui to enjoy the beach and sun. There’s a real buzz about the place, especially over Christmas, New Year and the January School holidays. A large number of cruise ships berth in Tauranga from October to April (the 2016/17 season had 83 cruise ships visiting with a passenger population of approx. 150,000).
- Auckland is a 35 minute flight or a 2 hour easy drive
- Food and craft beer festivals, music festivals, wineries, major sporting events (surfing, ocean swimming, triathlon series, surf lifesaving, beach volleyball)
- Sea kayaking, surfing, paddle boarding, kitesurfing, powerboating, windsurfing, sailing, jet ski-ing...
- Beautiful location – white sandy beaches, safe swimming harbour, natural salt water hot pools, a local mountain with amazing endless views up and down the coastline
More info on the Tauranga Lifestyle
Ideally you will hold FANZCA (and ideally FCICM) and full Vocational registration with Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ).
Alternatively, given the short term nature of this role, you should ideally be eligible for Locum Tenens registration with Medical Council of New Zealand. Locum Tenens is a short term specialist registration, valid for up to 12 months, which takes only 30 days to process once submitted. Those with equivalent specialist qualifications from either Australia, Canada, USA, UK (with CCT), Ireland (with CCT), or South Africa are eligible for this pathway.
Please visit the MCNZ website for details on the medical registration requirements, including primary source verification of your qualifications which was introduced by MCNZ 1st November 2017. It is a requirement for all doctors wishing to work in NZ to have their qualifications verified before they can commence in post.
For more details, please contact Caroline at email@example.com with a copy of your CV.
Please note, Caroline is based in Wellington, New Zealand. But Tauranga is her hometown, so knows the hospital and the area very well.